Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bb2 and Mari

No offence taken, maybe in my annoyance I didn't make myself too clear, sorry 'bout that.

I went through all of what you describe a month ago with Xara when I upgraded from DW MX to DW MX 2004 (having previously had a problem in Jan when upgrading to MM 1.1). It worked fine after that even if it took me several days to find out how and it took Xara several days to reply to support tickets.

See http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr...ing_issues.htm for Macromedia issues relating to extensions. Menu Maker is not a true extension in that it's not a .mxp file but is an .exe (nor is it a Macromedia endorsed extension). In view of both this and of Xara's eternal problem with DW, and knowing what I went through a month ago, and in view of what happened yesterday, I've since fully uninstalled both DW and XARA (yet AGAIN) so's to be able to carry out the DW MX 2004 update (not upgrade, the new 7.01 update from 7.0). I not only uninstalled them both, I deleted ALL remnant Xara and Dreamweaver folders in C:Program Files and in Cocs+SettingsUser...DreamweaverMX2004 so as to have no trace of Xara's modified menus.xml or other files, and I re-installed DW only totally from scratch to start with, in order to get a clean fresh install. I then started to re-install my DW extensions but not Menu Maker. After the 2nd extension, my DW interface started flickering and jumping about again when I open DW. It will only stop if I click on something within DW. I initially downloaded and did the DW 7.01 update as my DW interface was already slightly flickering on start-up (albeit very much less so) when I had changed the menus.xml files as sent to me by Xara.

No-one else has reported this problem with the new DW update, so I now can't help but wonder if somehow there's still some trace of Xara's files somewhere as the only time I've ever had a problem before with DW is with Xara when they sent me their re-written menu.xml file.

Nevertheless, all that is besides the point to some degree (although any help/suggestions would be appreciated! ) . The point is that none of us should have to even go through the process of all this uninstalling and re-installing (and backing up both DW and MM in order to not lose our settings, sites, related files, projects etc,). The only reason we end up going through this unnecessary and time-consuming palaver is because of some bug in Menu Maker relating to integration with DW that Xara don't seem able to fix nor do they seem to be able to notify us of in their FAQ (now that they've made the relevant page blank...).

One can never tell with any software one buys what the support is going to be like, whether online or from reputable developers. Take Symantec (Nortons) for instance - no support unless you pay $20 odd for it, valid or not! OTH, I've come across some downloaded software that claims to have valid tech support - some have the most amazing friendly speedy support and then there are others that totally ignore you forever more; one just can't tell no matter what they claim. Some have forums, like this one, which is always of use :-), and in some forums the developer takes an active part, whereas in others it's entirely up to the goodwill and help of other users whilst the developers never show their faces.

I just got a reply from Xara support re their FAQ link not working...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have checked the menu maker faq and have added the relevant question to the faq

please go to http://www.xara.com/support/menumaker/ Select dreamweaver extension and submit the form and click on the question shown below.

The question has been updated to reflect different information in comparison to when the problem was first identified.

If you cannot access the question, please let me know the name and version number of your web browser

Many thanks
    Customer Support
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So they've just added that page today it would seem.

Nevetheless, I'm still not prepared to fiddle with the menus.xml in view of the new update, nor does it solve my jittery DW interface...

Thumbs up Re: Add-in for Dreamweaver MX won't work "IT DOES WORK"

You will be presented with the option to install the Dreamweaver extension when you install Webstyle 3, Webstyle 4 or Menu Maker. If you chose not to install the extension when you installed your Xara product, the steps below will tell you how to install the extension on its own. The extension can also be used for easy insertion of Xara Online Modules (for more information visit xaraonline.com).

To install the Dreamweaver extension:

Ensure Dreamweaver and any Xara programs are closed.
    Download the Dreamweaver extension from here.
    Once downloaded, run the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    Once installed, start Dreamweaver and you should now have options listed under the Insert menu for Xara products.
    Last edited by trevor; 23 September 2006 at 09:28 PM. Reason: INCORRECT PLACE