Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VectorMagic Bitmap Tracer

I recently discovered this while revisiting my tracer tutorial for a revamp. It is a new online tracer using artificial intelligence to analyse bitmap images to turn them into vectors. Their webpage shows interesting results which demonstrate that it is the most superior tracer concerning 'edge detection'--used in particular for tracing line drawings and simple logos.

I had an email discussion with them about their tracer, and also did a test of its limitations. For line drawings and simple logos, it is the best quality tracer available that I've seen. However when tracing photos, its output is not up to the same level of quality as Illustrators trace, and in particular Xara's--a lot of details are lost.

The programmers told me that their primary focus at the moment was in tracing line drawings and simple logos--given that is the primary use of tracing these days. (Producing perfect traces of photos has limited uses really).

The speed of the tracing process is much faster than Illustrator for the quality, but naturally, noticeably slower than Xara.

Once a trace is complete, you are able to save the output currently in two vector formats (SVG and EPS) and also as a PNG. Unfortunately they do not support PDF or XAR. I did ask them about possible future support for these formats, however I didn't get a response.

Unfortunately, Xara's current EPS import filters don't support the importing of the EPS files they generate. Xara may have updated their EPS filters in the next version to allow it to work, but I don't know.

I'd recommend trying it out; it's a nice piece of FREE software.

Default Re: VectorMagic Bitmap Tracer

We've talked about it two weeks ago, Xhris:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=29901

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 10 November 2007 at 12:53 AM.

Unfortunately, Xara's current EPS import filters don't support the importing of the EPS files they generate.
    As a work-around, if you have CorelDraw installed (X3 in my case) you can open the EPS fine and then export to CMX v5 which Xara opens perfectly.

Pretty incredible. I just tried it with a simple logo with some text at about 3 x 4" at 96dpi and the trace was very precise. I used 3 fonts, a sans serif, a think serif font and a hand script and all three turned out very well. Easily the most precise I have seen in any program including Illustrator. Very impressive.

I wonder if they are trying to find a buyer for the technology?

Gary

Very impressive! I had to open either eps or svg file into Illustrator but I could just copy them from there into XXP as a metafile. Would be great if I didn't have to open Illy. Thanks for the link Xhris.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I tried it, but could not get either the eps or svg file to open in XXP. As I don't have any other vector programmes, any suggestions?

Thanks
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Download Inkscape (Portable version needs no installation)
    Open SVG with Inkscape and then save as PDF. This will open in XXPro

Inkscape is Free.

Direct Download as it's a little hard to find via the first link.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 November 2007 at 09:29 PM.

if you have xarapro and inkscape [free]:

you can import svg to inkscape and then export pdf to import into xarapro

else its a problem as others have said

YOU BEAT ME TO IT SLEDGER
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks, that worked perfectly. I forgot that I actually had Inkscape already.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Or do it using the EPS file convert it to PDF online HERE then import it into XXP.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 November 2007 at 10:05 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host