Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wwsbjd

Default Wwsbjd

**NOTICE**

What follows is an editorial cartoon. If you find offense in these sort of things you would be well served find another thread to visit.

I had a long explanation put together for this image but have decided better of it. Suffice to say this is not an editorial on Jesus, but on who we often times show him to be. 'What Would Slightly Broken Jesus Do?'

*footnote - As this is a graphics board I'd ask try to stay away from religious arguments.

Default Re: Wwsbjd

if its open season on editorial cartoons I'll be right behind you

and no, you are quite right, if it needed a long explanation - then it wouldn't be an effective editorial would it?

very nice drawing I do like the [graphic] style
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very Neat Toon... Original style, poinient(sp?) statement.

Nice warning... explanation... Well worded and offset, I don't see how anywone could take offence.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Great looking style in that cartoon, Thatch.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm not completely satisfied with it but I was trying a number of new things on this one. Some worked, some didn't.

As a side note, I'm both a Christian and I work for the US Army. The intended meaning is probably more subtle than what might initially be perceived.

Thanks again,

J

context is important
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very bad taste.

Due to the nappy flag and the victim, I find it more politically offensive than anything.

If I wanted to to view such images I 'would be well served find another' forum 'to visit'.

Anas

Oh its very likely to be offensive all right, no question - that is why I referred to context.

Not so long ago I was ticked off for daring to suggest that another members work might in some way be offensive to others [different context]

Still I'm also on record as saying 'what A says about B describes A better than it does B' which it does.

I say no more.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Salaam, I'm guessing that you are probably misreading what this piece is saying if you are offended. Even if you are not, ignoring my posts as opposed to leaving the forum would serve your interests better.

For the record the piece is designed as a reverse view of the popular tag in the US ... 'what would Jesus do' which is designed to make people perceive their actions from a different viewpoint. An admirable goal but one that rarely gets fully implemented. I thought to turn things on it's head and think what if Jesus was who some of us think and act like.

And so... Jesus is obviously American, white and kickin' ass.

which I think is pretty sad.

This isn't to make any comment one way or another on any government's actions, but to comment on the altering of religion to fit within a particular world view. I think religion transcends issues of governance and international policy. When we put them together we put God in a box of our making.

I assumed some would be offended. I'd just ask those that see the piece to be offended by what I am trying to say, not what you think I'm trying to say.

"a highly provocative statement with no context is a rabid dog with no leash"

nice to see I was not mistaken about the context

I like the basic idea - but I pass no comment on this implementation of it.
    Last edited by handrawn; 08 February 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Nothing lasts forever...