Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Shadows and feathered objects in SVG

Hi all,

Recently I've been asked to convert a drawing to SVG.
    I don't have Xtreme yet and I'm a bit in a rush so I don't have time to install a trial. Besides it's easier to ask you people just in case someone has already found (or knows) the answer
    The drawing has wall shadows (6pix; 75%; X+7, Y-2) and feathered objects and I was wondering whether Xara's SVG export can handle them?
    Or should I convert those objects to bitmap?
    Or is there another way by converting the XAR to PDF and the PDF to SVG using e.g. Inkscape (dunno if Inkscape supports PDFs)?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Default Re: Shadows and feathered objects in SVG

Hi,

Just tried it in gimp,doesn't work, gives an empty file(no objects)
    Maybe wmf works?

Hans

Hi Alien,
    Inkscape is very good at importing PDFs. I have the latest nightly build installed. Send over your file as a pdf and I'll see what it can do. Or send the xar file and I'll do the pdf as well. Do it now because I will be away from tomorrow morning for the weekend.

my email addy is kaver@optusnet.com.au

cheers, Erik

Hi Alien,
    I've just done some tests on a rectangle with wall shadow and the word TEXT with feathering. In Xtreme the shadows and feathers do not show any grain.

Xtreme exported them using a standard export as svg.
    I opened the file in Inkscape.
    Result. Wall shadow was good with only slight pixelation evident at high magnification. Text feathering was quite blocky and not acceptible IMO.
    There are no Xtreme controls for svg quality.

Also exported file to pdf using 600 dpi. The pdf is excellent in Adobe reader with only slightest pixelation in text feathering.
    Opened the result in Inkscape. The result was pixelation in both feathering and wall shadow.

cheers, Erik

Thanks for the help guys.

Hans, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the wmf export gave some really ugly results.

Erik, thanks for the help. So exporting to svg from pdf also isn't an option? Too bad.
    I've also tried Xtreme's SVG export, but everything was exported as bitmap - even simple objects
    I think I'm on a lead now. If I select everything and ungroup them, convert them to editable shapes, then the result looks like a step in the right direction. Maybe something will come out of this