Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Linuk Newbie - RecXara free trial - moved / lost programs

Hi All

I am a new linux user - formerly Windows.

I have an HP Laptop which came with Vista preinstalled.

Due to constant issues with Vista, a friend installed Linux UBUNTU - and reinstalled Vista for Dual-Boot so I can access my vista software.

I downloaded the free trial of Xara :
    RecXaraLX0.7_rev1692 Package. autopackage archive. See link:

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download/

I don't know if I messed up installing the wrong one for using with linux ubuntu.
    Because now I think that this program has somehow moved files etc - such as my music playlists in Amorak. In my play lists, the Title and Directory columns are correctly there, but the Album and Artist descriptions are empty - and it simply tells me that the "Play List is Finished".

What have I done wrong? Should I uninstall Xara from Linux, and if so, how?

I installed it as it looked like a good graphics program as I am looking for one that will help me design 3D walk through type thing for re-modelling my house.

If I have installed the wrong one, is there another you would recommend that is compatible for this version of Linux ???

I really hope you can help cos I am really stuck and don't want to mess around with my OS without proper knowledge / expert advice.

Many Thanks

I found this info under Sysyem Info:
    Ubuntu 7.1 Gutsy...
    Kernel Linux 21.15 generic
    Gnome: 2.20.0
    2.0 GB
    IP

Default Re: Linuk Newbie - RecXara free trial - moved / lost programs

Hello Tiggy,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

It is very unlikely that install ing XaraLX would affect another program on your linux machine. XaraLX installs itself in your user folder and most other applications install in one of the Bin folders (there are several in linux).

To remove XaraLX open a root console and type in: package remove xaralx

That will uninstall XaraLX from your system.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Linuk Newbie - RecXara free trial - moved / lost programs

Hi Tiggy:
    Bill is right. Xara LX probably is not the problem. It's recommended to try to install first through your package manager from your distribution's (Ubuntu Gutsy in this case) repositories and I think Ubuntu is using the Synaptic package manager. Then if it isn't in the repositories, use an autopackage. Then there is compiling your own. There is another possibility or two, also, for installing packages but not going to toss too much at you right now.
    Uninstall either using Bill's suggestion, or through Synaptic (if your friend has shown you how to use it) then reinstall using Synaptic. Would think it's in the Gutsy repositories, you may have to go into "preferences", then "repositories" (I believe) and click on the box to check the "non-free" repository or one the other unchecked repositories, if that's where the Xara LX package is listed.
    You didn't mention what you were trying to do when you got the "playlist finished" message. There is a post on the Ubuntu forums that mentions one of your symptoms:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ylist+finished
    See if that helps any. If not you might want to register there and talk about your Amarok symptoms. They may well be able to better help you with Amarok than we can. Now those Xara LX specific questions, we can help with.
    Let me correct one misunderstanding you have. Xara LX IS NOT a trial. It was released to the Linux community to develop for the various Linux distributions. "Trial" software implies "try for a given period of time, before you buy it". Xara LX is yours to use for as long as you can run it.
    Let me also state that the "non-free" repositories do not mean that you need to pay someone for that software, it just means that the companies that make the software normally charge for most of their products. That one confused me when I first started using Linux.
    Good luck with sorting this one out!
    Scott
    Last edited by Shaman; 05 November 2007 at 03:51 AM.
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP