Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default VectorMagic Online Bitmap Tracer

Found a link to a new online Bitmap Tracer: VectorMagic

They compare the results of their Bitmap Tracer with Adobe Live Tracer and Corel Power Trace (it seems, they don't know Xara Xtreme's Bitmap Tracer and Inkscape's Tracer...).

Currently the server is a little bit overloaded, but perhaps it's a nice service to use later.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 27 October 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: VectorMagic Online Bitmap Tracer

Hi Remi,
    I am really impressed with the quality of the trace much better than live trace from Adobe and I can't compare it to Corel as I have not used that utility since version 12. Will post later the vector and the bitmap once I have exported forn XPro.
    Design is thinking made visual.

When you download as EPS, XPro filter does not work same with FH but will open in AI & Acro. so able to import as PDF.

It's really cool, Thanks Remi.
    But, Im trying to find out... is there a cost per or membership fee??? Or anything, or is this a free service... And if so, how long will they be able to keep it up??
    I'm wondering if this is a way for them to test popularity to decide on further development into releasing a new software? (Yes, I'm in that "what's the catch" mode)
    Last edited by geminiguy; 27 October 2007 at 04:27 PM.

VectorMagic is down for maintenance as of Oct 10, 8:44 PST.
    10th Oct? Odd....

Yes it is, maybe the date/time on their servers is messed up?? Their servers are completely bogged down. I got far enough in to check the demo video but couldn't even sign-up.
    I can't get in far enough to really check it out. I mean, it looks rather nice and like a great service... but I can't get in to find out answers to some questions I have about it....
    I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on it though. It seems like a pretty cool concept.

Yesterday before the site went down upload the jpeg and downloaded the EPS. Spent 10 minutes tidying the trace as there was jpeg compression on the file but I am really pleased with the results. As I stated before I had to open it with Illy and EPS filters in XPro couldn't cope with the file format and also you have to designate the file type after down loading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trace.gif 
Views:	979 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	42740  

I did a quick test for line art and photo - I was pleased with the results.
    I don't think that it is better than xara for photos and inkscape for logo/lineart but it is good.

Saved as svg - found that putting the .svg extension on the file name when downloading worked ok, it does not do this automatically as mentioned - did not try eps

cannot compare with adobe live trace as I only have illy10 - using this to convert svg to ai8 opened in xara fine.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, it's the usual problem with Xara Xtreme: You can't live without Adobe Illustrator, because of the bad import filters from Xara Xtreme.

I've done some tests with VectorMagic and the results are pretty good. There is not much info about the algorithm behind VectorMagic. It could be, that it's only a new interface for Potrace from Peter Selinger, but the only info on the about page is "This site is the result of a Stanford University Artificial Intelligence Laboratory research project by James Diebel and Jacob Norda.". Therefore, it could also be a new algorithm from these two developers.

Remi

This is a very good link, I'm currently did a quick try