Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Import or Paste AutoCad Drawings

I believe the reason you import autocad stuff it in to Xara is to add some additional graphics like color or gradient that are difficult to obtain in Autocad.

If your intent is for printing, you need at least good resolution and smooth curves.

Regards,

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    I believe the reason you import autocad stuff it in to Xara is to add some additional graphics like color or gradient that are difficult to obtain in Autocad.

If your intent is for printing, you need at least good resolution and smooth curves.

Regards,

Marc
    I see your point. I have only imported basic shapes and designs into Xara, for completion as a Xara drawing. I agree importing a full AutoCad drawing with door swings and fixtures etc. is actually FAR from acceptable. Anything that includes any sort of curve is very poor. For that I would print a pdf file from the AutoCad and import into Xara accordingly. It's still not perfect, but it will normally suffice.

Lets face it AutoCad is a vector application - a .dwg import into Xara would be nice.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Lets face it AutoCad is a vector application - a .dwg import into Xara would be nice.
    That surely would be a hot feature.

I found out that when you imports segmented arcs from PDF, you can select the object, select all points and do some smoothing with the slider, which generally turns out not so bad.

Regards,

Marc

While I too would like to import dxf files into Xara, I came across this method for Autocad users.

I don't use Autocad so I haven't been able to try this myself but this may be a possible solution if the .eps file Autocad creates are true arcs.

The .eps file I created gave me a warning in Xtreme but it came through albeit with all lines in black.

How to export a drawing to EPS format
    Answer Use the _PSOUT command in Autocad and write your drawing to an .EPS format file (enacapsulated postscript).
    Using Tools/Options in the EPS dialog you can set scale, preview type and other parameters.

Cheers

Dahzee

What about giving the layer with the cad file on it transparency of stained glass, that gets rid of the white. The colours do change a bit but it may be OK.

I need help with exporting to scale for graphic overlays.

Here is my method from the start: I design the precise geometry in CAD, e.g., the instrument panel where mounting holes, edges, and LED windows are located. This is when the outer size of a graphic component is decided. Then I plot to a PDF at 1:1 scale. In XX, I import the PDF for editing and place the outline in the guidelines layer. Then draw.

The next step is the kicker because I need to provide my graphic overlay supplier with a non-XX file format. The trouble is validating that the export data precisely matches the intended size and location, i.e., the graphics features are placed at the locations specified in CAD. I print the XX file and it gives me the results I expect. But, when I open exported files I create with XX; like PDF, EPS, JPG, etc... I get scaled versions of the original.

Help!

I don't want to pay the supplier an art charge.

SW

Could you attach a file so we can see what it is you are trying to achieve.

I daily import CAD created PDF's and have no problems with adding additional elements in Xtreme and then exporting them 100% of the original size.

Thanks

Dahzee