Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You need two shapes-
    to the first You apply fill with fractal plasma,
    stretch the plasma-rectangle to a samll amount of hight, a big amount of with, then apply transparency 100% from far to 0 % near.

to the second shape you also make fractal fill, stretch also the fractal rectangle handels smaller in hight but not so small as in shape 1
    the fill shold be bigger then in shape 1
    also apply transparency linear from 100% near to 0%far

shape 1 -the far - schold be more blue and lighter in colour to simulate the colour-distance-falling into blue and fog
    shape 2 should be a little bit warmer and apply more colour to it

give on over the other and under the bridge.

As going from “front of the image to the back” – what you can use to achieve depth:

L - Light, warm and saturated colours - more detail, and texture. In focus – no/less “blur”)

To:

D - Dark, cold and desatured colours – less detail and texture. Out of focus – more “blur”)

Your foreground shape (Lightest)
    Bridge (Second Lightest)
    Other shore (Second darkest)
    River - Darkest
    Sky – Make it neutral (but still pretty), as it’s not important to the composition, and not what you want to the viewer to focus on.

I’m saying lightest and darkest here... but I’m really referencing the two categories (L & D) You don’t need to make the river super-dark... You can give it any colour, as long as the other areas relate to it in the right way (L & D), and you should achieve depth.

Don't use black to "colour" - Rather use a very dark version of a colour. Black will just end up being a lack of everything - a hole in the composition.

As the bridge and water are the most important details, start with these until you get a colour you enjoy – then colour the supporting elements.

The detail, texture and focus/blur are "optional" and can be used to highten the feel of depth, but you have to use colour.

That’s how it works in theory – now someone has to do it...

I wrote: Don't use black to "colour" - Rather use a very dark version of a colour. Black will just end up being a lack of everything - a hole in the composition.

--- It should also say, don't use pure white. For the same reason.

As for Light / Dark - It should say "Lighter" and "Darker."

Anyway, I'll shut up now. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Dab influenced colour choices... but still an attempt! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Only one colour in each "plane."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridges-rk.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	19341  

Damn nice, Risto.

Now I "see" what you mean. I've got to start thinking more like you :}

If there could ever be a Annual Xara Conference ... you, Ross, Gary, and others who posted here could present some great lessons.

John

John
    Sorry, we hold them every six months in Hawaii. There all expenses paid due to Xara's generous sponsership. Have we overlooked you? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

There is always the incompetent semi-centential Xara conference held in Mud Butte Montana for all the rest of us. No expense paid, of course.

Here is a photo that may be useful.
    Note that the only in the reflection is there any blue at all. Also notice that "curves" in the distance are almost actually straight, and that the lines become more horizontal the further they are from the viewer.
    It is only because of our understanding of the world that we "see" them as curved. - Andrew

Name:	Bolinas_lagoon-1-resized.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	10535  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I attach the result of some playing.

I'd say if the intent is to be symbolic go for a dynamic 'graphic' approach. Bridges traditionally have been seen as the symbol of 'connection' so I'd say the emphasis should be on the bridge itself and not the two sides.

I added the water ripples just to see the effect. I thought it looked fine without them. To make the ripples I overlayed a white/black plasma fill on a solid black background. The shape with the plasma fill was then given a linear transparancy. The shape that is the far shore is feathered and the sky behind a linear transparancy --- intent was to give a less defined horizon.

Regards, Ross

Name:	bridge.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	1789  

John,

First you should establish your vanishing points so that you can take advantage of the strong lines of direction in your drawing. I've attached a file to demonstrate this.

Whatever you do with the surface of the water, I suggest the banks of the river should flow to the vanishing point on the left. I also suggest making the foreground surface of the bridge almost completely opaque rather than transparent, as the transparency of the bridge surface as it is now compresses the space between the bridge and the water.

If you go into more detail, you may want to consider showing the reflection of the bridge in the water, which will also help to establish the space between the bridge and the river.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Kane Rogers
    Attached Files Attached Files