Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Some background:
    I have been working on graphic to support a project in which a bridge maybe constructed over a river (the bridge also is symbolic of bridging two communities, the past and the future, etc.). I created the bridge in SketchUp and imported into XaraX is an alpha-PNG.

The Challenge:
    I ran into a problems trying to give depth to the river which flows under the bridge. I usually use fractal plasma fills and transparencies to accomplish this. However, I stumbled in trying to get a feeling of depth/distance. I was hoping to make the surface texture of the water surface in the background appear smaller (further away) and that in the foreground appear larger (closer) and somehow get the area in between to blend properly.

I would welcome some examples and instruction in how to accomplish this. I would like a method which is not only is eye-catching but is not overly complex and time consuming ... if that is possible :}. Otherwise, I am willing to go with the eye-catching aspect and persevere with the complex.

I will also attach a XaraX file to use as a starting point.

If necessary, I can arrange a place on an FTP site to trade files which would be too large to post here.

Regards, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Effects_with_Depth.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	2888  

Some background:
    I have been working on graphic to support a project in which a bridge maybe constructed over a river (the bridge also is symbolic of bridging two communities, the past and the future, etc.). I created the bridge in SketchUp and imported into XaraX is an alpha-PNG.

The Challenge:
    I ran into a problems trying to give depth to the river which flows under the bridge. I usually use fractal plasma fills and transparencies to accomplish this. However, I stumbled in trying to get a feeling of depth/distance. I was hoping to make the surface texture of the water surface in the background appear smaller (further away) and that in the foreground appear larger (closer) and somehow get the area in between to blend properly.

I would welcome some examples and instruction in how to accomplish this. I would like a method which is not only is eye-catching but is not overly complex and time consuming ... if that is possible :}. Otherwise, I am willing to go with the eye-catching aspect and persevere with the complex.

I will also attach a XaraX file to use as a starting point.

If necessary, I can arrange a place on an FTP site to trade files which would be too large to post here.

Regards, John

And the .xar file.

Please note, this is an X file but I also have X1 installed as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wouldn't make the image of the bridge transparent. And started experimenting with soft shadows of the bridge on the river surface. Color of the river should be much darker and it should reflect the bridge.

Hi John,

Most of the rivers I have seen are brown, either from seeing through the water, or from silt being carried by the river. Only very large rivers would have a blue cast and that would be in the distance and be more reflection of the sky, than from the river itself.

Here are some pics I found in google... for a search of "Pittsburgh, smithfield street bridge"

Hi John,

I think Dmagician is right about the bridge beging transparent. Seeing the water under the bridge takes the some of the height away. I'm not sure what you will be using this art for but what about adding some other detail like trees or bushes gradualy getting smaller in size. Also you could try makeing the small end of the river stop in a more upward position.

This is ment to be symbolic. There will be no vegetation. I want to minimize the total number of major shapes (graphic elements).

I'm primarly interested in rippling/flowing water effects.

A shadow cast by the bridge and the transparency of the bridge reducing the effect of height are something I hadn't thought of. Good ideas. Since the bridge is part of a future development I thought that a fade-in transparency might convey that, but perhaps that's not the case.

John

I wonder if this is a case of 'less is more'; I just love the simplicity of it as it is. It has great movement, across the bridge and then following the line of the river. As it takes the eye so it creates the message.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon, in that case I would remove the blur on the river edges ;-)

Add a horizon if you want to give the picture some depth.