Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble with simple water

hi! i'm new here and to painter x and have a question

i was using the simple water brush (default settings) to paint. everything was going really well. i then took my image into photoshop quick to clean up line work. when i put it back into painter again to paint my simple water brush was giving me a different effect

how my brush is set before

now using the same brush again with same color, its coming so much darker. it looks like its interacting with the paint underneath it now, where as before i was painting fine on top of it

i haven't been able to find an answer yet. maybe i had some other setting on my brush to make it so "light" but i cannot guess to as what, or photoshop messed up something. any help is appreciated thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirada1.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	42424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirada2.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	42425  

Last edited by Christine Farrelly; 18 October 2007 at 03:32 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Trouble with simple water

upon further investigation, if i start a new layer to paint on (and hide the other one), all my brushes work fine and give the effect i want. its only with this layer than it becomes darker. all the settings look fine though and i can't figure it out
    IP

Hope I am correct here but, when I look at all the settings, it looks as though you have a different color selected in the second scenario?? All the other settings are the same, except the color being used
    IP

ah sorry. it is the color i chose in the first picture. i used the red in the second one to make the circles. those are two different shades of purple i used, both of which are coming *much* darker than they originally were
    IP

Oh, o.k., well... never mind then... It really is quite puzzling then?? and definitely no possability of any changes made while working with each shade, that were not saved without realizing it?? (just trying to start at the more common situations) It's the only way to know if this is a serious program flaw or just an innocent / simple oversight

That is a very nice piece, by the way
    IP

When you take an image into Photoshop it loses the watercolour ability and becomes just another layer.

Please do not post such large images.

Christine
    IP

That's very useful and interesting to know Christine, Thanks
    IP

The Simple Water brush variant is not a Watercolor variant so that part of Christine's comment doesn't quite apply here. It is true that when we save a file to any other format than Painter's native RIFF, all Painter-specific information is lost.

What does happen is that wet Digital Watercolor is dried when the file is saved to a format Photoshop understands. Then when it's opened again in Painter and even the same color is painted over existing color, the brush strokes are darker.

Digital Watercolor, whether you're working on the Canvas or on a Layer is painted on the invisible Wet Layer (not listed in the Layers palette) that no longer exists when the wet Digital Watercolor is dried.

If you paint on a new Layer with Digital Watercolor using the same color that underlies that Layer, it will darken the underlying color (whether or not the underlying Digital Watercolor paint is wet) as the Digital Watercolor Layer is set to Composite Method Gel (automatically, to make the paint appear transparent and prevent the appearance of white edges around the brush strokes).

If you paint that same color on a Layer above white, it will appear as expected since there is no color to darken below it.

These are not flaws in Corel Painter. It's just the way Digital Watercolor works and it takes time and practice to learn how to use it.

You might want to read John Derry's Visual Guide for Digital Watercolor to learn more about this brush category.

Jin
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 19 October 2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thank you for the info and the link. I had no idea about the "drying" attribute. Amazing when you sit and think on it... (the wet is considered dry after saving)?? Pretty wild.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    Thank you for the info and the link. I had no idea about the "drying" attribute. Amazing when you sit and think on it... (the wet is considered dry after saving)?? Pretty wild.
    Wet Digital Watercolor is not only "considered dry", it is dried when:
    • The artist is using Painter 8 or Painter 8.1, saves the file in any format including RIFF, closes the file, then opens it again in Painter. (Happily, that problem was fixed in Painter IX.)
    • The artist is using Painter IX, Painter IX 9.1, Painter IX.5, Painter X, or Painter X.1 and the file is saved to any other format than Painter's native RIFF.
    • The artist decides to dry it using the Layers main menu or Layers palette menu command Dry Digital Watercolor or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Command+Shift+L.

Except in Painter 8 and Painter 8.1, wet Digital Watercolor is not automatically dried when the file is saved in RIFF format.

Jin
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP