Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unsmoothed mesh

@ Mike.. I think there was fastback models from 65 right on through to the early seventies, but there were also the stock models...

@ Arnold... the low poly mesh looks ok, though there are some areas I perhaps would have tackled differently...

most important is gaining the over all shapes first, then cutting in the details... keeping in mind that subdividing will result everything scaling smaller, rounder, tighter like... so those quarter panels will have to be more hieght pronounced when in boxy levels...

I would think about cutting and connecting the geom right back and around on those hood areas for instance...

you could get away with small tri's in areas like when you get to the trim detailing whereby they come into a sort of point towards the front on the fenders etc...

but still, they should still be supported with proper influence structuring... a close in loop or two so as to keep the flairing to a minimum for instance... and the outer tri's made quads wherever possible... then upon smoothing and rendering you will likely not see the irregularities created by the non planular mesh spots around the poles areas where tri's or say ngons, are within the quad mesh...

Yea, best to start again, you will only gain with each time you do this... the low poly mesh doesn't look complicated at all except for the areas already mentioned, and up around the door window areas... also, since there are several curves working on most of the shape, I would try to keep the geom fairly even throughout... For instance, cutting and connecting those two larger row's of poly's accross the hood so as to make the geom even spaced, then it won't smooth out irregular as it has... will eliminate the wavy situation you have in those areas...

geez, I hope this gibberish makes sense to you

Great advice Gidge

The only thing I might add is when youre modelling Fossman {especially a car} think specular returns or how your mesh will look with lights shining on it and its edges.

I dont think anyone ever gets a car spot on first time looks like a Stang though so well done.