Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Xara

Question New to Xara

So far really like the programs.
    Trying to learn.

I need to create a logo. I have a few ideas I sketched out in Paint before buying Xara. I am not sure if I should draw it in Xara or use the Paint graphic. I watched several videos, still downloading the rest, and waiting for CD so I have no fills or other stuff. I cannot seem to edit the Paint graphic.

Is there a specific way to bring a bmp/jpg or other image into Xara Extreme or into Xara3D. I bought the graphics package with Pro, Xara3d and Webstyle4.

When I pasted it, the white background showed up surrounding the graphic and would not let me do anything with it. Do I need to make it a transparent background?

Thanks for a great program.

Default Re: New to Xara

Hi

For logos, drawing them afresh in Xtreme is the best way to go; you can resize elements easily and with Named Colours change, say, 10 different logo ideas on the same page. I'm in the middle of one of those jobs right now,
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference John

Check out the Xara Xone Workbook Index under Logos. There are a bunch of articles on logos including a few on creating simple logos in Xara that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Gary

Question Re: New to Xara

I have tried to draw it in Xara Extreme, but I am unable to duplicate it. I used Paint and started with a square. I created a circular cutout from the square by adding a circle of a different color on the edges of the square and then changing the color to the background color. I then skewed the "star" shape until I liked it.

In drawing in Xara, moving the lines creates a similar look, but uneven like a child drew it with a crayon and not symmetrical.

So, I guess I will experiment with Xara based techniques the way I did with Paint.

Well let's have a look at your logo and we will give help how to do it.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Okay, what I did is I went with whatever came up, played around with buttons and viola got he enclosed xara3d file.

Originally I had intended to have it filled in and using some form of metallic texture or something. After looking at what I ended up with however, I am now thinking to put something in the space in the middle. Unknown what at this point.

I do not know how to draw a shape and then fill it in. I can do it with the automatic shapes like squares and circles, but how do you make an arc once, then copy it three times, rotating it around and then form a complete filled in shape from it. All I got was the outline and tried to use several menu options, but none seem to give me what I wanted.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

one way to make a filled shape from three separate lines [there will be others]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape from lines.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	42310  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Exclamation Re: New to Xara

Thank you. Good to know.

I did figure out how to use the same basic procedure that I used in Paint. I used the command <ctrl>+<2> to subtract the circle from the square.

Now I just need to figure out filling and texturing it. I hope I get the CD soon.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To add fill, simply open the fill gallery and drag the required fill onto your shape. Add shadows and bevels to suit.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thank you Handrawn I learned some new from that .
    Welcome to the forum JBaradale. You will find some very helpful and friendly people here.
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman