Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: solid object

Default solid object

I have follow the instruction on my xara 3d Cd movie on how to convert a flat object or jpg to a solid object in Xara 3d. but each time i copy the shape form xara Xtreme to xara 3d as instructed i get the following mgs. can not import from c:\decume~1\admin~1\locals~1\temp\x3d1c.tmp.
    This file does not contain any outlines.
    please help

Thanks members

Default Re: solid object

Hi, Leoibra,
    this message occurs because you are trying to import something into Xara3D, but the shape you are importing does not contain a vector shape. This usually means that you have tried ti load a bitmap directly into Xara3D, or have loaded a bitmap image into XaraXtreme, and have saved a .xar file, and tried to import that, but if you haven't done anything with the image, then the file still only contains a bitmap. Xara3D can only deal with vector shapes, which can include truetype fonts.

If you work through the Making a bitmap logo spin part 1 sticky, it shows you how to use a character from the Wingdings font as an initial shape by typing it in Xara3D, and then how to apply your bitmap to it as a texture. Think of the character as a vector canvas for your bitmap to be painted onto. For a rectangular shape, use an n (lower-case N) from Wingdings, or use an l (lower case L) to get a disc shape, as in the sticky.

I am afraid you'll have to learn a little bit about how to use Xara3D and XaraXtreme, before you can get any useable results out of them, although that doesn't take long. At least with the Part 1 sticky, you don't need XaraXtreme, you just need Xara3D, the Wingdings font, and your image in a bitmap form, eg, .bmp. .png, .jpg, .gif, or .ico.

Have a go at that and tell us in a bit of detail how far you get, and we'll be able to help. As far as a step-by-step guide is concerned, I think the stickies are about as simple as it is going to get.

Mike