Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Crashes when Printing

Hello all,

I'm new to both Ubuntu and Xara, and would like to say how impressed and excited I am about both of them. I'm running running Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft and Xara Xtreme Version: 0.7r1692-2 (xaralx).

Problem is, every time I try to print from Xara, the program crashes. This happens when I try to print either to a physical printer or as a PDF document.

I've tried printing from OpenOffice and it works fine.

I would really like to make Xara my graphics software of choice, but I really need to be able to produce both PDF's and hard copies of my work, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    G
    IP

Default Re: Xara Crashes when Printing

please try the latest version 1780.
    IP

I am running ubuntu gutsy and wanted to update to the latest ver 17.80.

However, I cannot figure out how to make Xara work.

I have tried all instructions given, but no luck. Any help?
    IP

usually I just install xara in my /home folder. download the bz2 package and extract it into your home folder, then create a link to to the xaralx executable on your desktop or wherever.

OK, just re-read your post...what problems are you having?

@gbacon2 if printing from xara doesnt work in 1780 (havent tried myself) you can always export to png, jpeg or gif and print from some other app.
    Last edited by con; 08 October 2007 at 07:04 PM.
    IP

Have tried the autopackage at:

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download/

frank
    IP

Thank you! That seems to have fixed it!
    IP

I am running ubuntu gutsy and i want to run the latest version of xara (1783).

When I try to run the package program, it crashes. When I try to run the tar file, it will unzip the program, but I cannot get it to run.

I love this prog. I recently (June) switched from windows and was a major beta tester for serif page plus and quark xpress.

Xara has a long way to go, but I feel it has much, much more potential than Scribus (buggy and clunky). This could be the program for Graphic Pros like me.

JP
    IP

I posted a thread last week about running Xara in vmware, maybe that could be something for you allstar?
    IP

The problem is a incompatibility of wxWidgets 2.6.x with the newest GTK version, used in Ubuntu Gutsy.

The explanation from the Xara Xtreme developers list:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bligh
    There have been a few problems reported about XaraLX not starting on Ubuntu Gutsy, or not printing, or generally falling over. This would appear to be because it is built (either under Ubuntu itself, or in binary distribution) against wxWidgets 2.6.x, which has an incompatibility with GTK 2.12.
    Specifically button borders are allocated with GSlice not normal malloc, and thus when they are freed using gfree() the app goes bang.

The most obvious problem is the app falling over on init when starting without imagemagick, but this also causes an explosion on printing. I fixed that in svn, but it just masks the problem.

A workaround is to start the app with the following environment variable set:
    G_SLICE=always-malloc

This is fixed in WX_2_6_BRANCH but not in 2.6.4. I think the real cure is going to be to compile against 2.8.4 rather than 2.6.x.

Anyone object to building with 2.8.4 (I haven't yet fully tested this)?
    And

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bligh
    > Rev1783 installed using package correctly on Ubuntu Gusty 7.10 32-bit
    > after installing ImageMagick. Great! Will try the 64-bit next. Thanks for
    > fixing this.

It's not properly fixed; printing (for instance) will still crash. See the
    GSLICE workaround above, or build it from source against 2.8.0.
    So, the last sentence contains the recommended solution (build it against wxWidgets 2.8.0).

Regards,
    Remi
    IP