Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can I create bootable puppy linux with Xara for my mac?

I was thinking maybe the best way to get xara on my mac would be to create a distro CD with Xara LX on it, run it on my Macbook Pro (intel) from the Live CD of puppy linux. Puppy linux is a small 60 MB distro.

anyone thought of this, or done it. I'm really stifled by not having xara on this other computer.

thanks!
    IP

Default Re: can I create bootable puppy linux with Xara for my mac?

That is actually a great idea. Save your work to the harddrive or usb mem stick.
    IP

Ok, did some investigating, and I got it to work. though I didn't actually get the have a USB stick at the time to save anything, it was indicated that I could do so.

There's a mod of puppy linux that somebody made called Teen Pup or Teen puppy, I guess to be more fun or more multimedia.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/TeenPup
    It has Kino, Audacity, XaraLX and other apps for experimentation. It's pretty big actually, 250MB approx, however, my mac is good to go for memory.

So I burned the ISO on windows, because Mac couldn't do it, (even with disk utility) but despite nero saying something didn't "match" with the disk image, making a cd worked, and holding the option key at boot up on the mac, puppy came up and configured pretty easily, though the display wasn't quite right.

Teen puppy did get my bluetooth wireless mouse instantly, but wireless internet didn't work from what I could see. Xara worked fine. Funny thing, I make a lot of use of the right-click drag in xara, and with the mac, the mighty mouse, can't do right-left click together, so I'll have to just dupe objects with Ctrl-K. but it feels great, much better than inkscape, and I can experiment again. I even have illustrator CS3 on my mac, but I don't want it if I can use Xara. The shape editor, transparency and smoothness is so much better on Xara.

so problem solved for now, hopefully the xtreme mac commercial version is coming out sometime soon. It's on the horizon I hear.
    IP

That is GREAT!!!! Nice work! When I first came into Linux, I was looking for someone to get something like that going!!! If you went to the PCLinuxOS forum archives youll see my posts for it under "a distro for artists?" Excellent work.
    One person had refered me to use Puppy, I tried it but it was a bit bland for my tast at the time.... ( I also prefer KDE over Gnome) I aslo tried Artist X but it had too much multi-media stuff for me (I could have just removed it all but....)
    Thank you so much for letting us all know about this, and posting the link.... TeenPup is definitely much better.... and actually the "first" distro to include Xara LX!!!!

Thank you!! I'm definitely going to give it a try!
    IP

TeenPup is awesome!!!! Thanks Micheal!! My son is using it right now!!
    IP

Cool!

I might just keep the stripped down version of puppy on a USB key just to take with me, as it's so small.

It would be really cool to strip down a version with just Xara on it, so it would boot superquick, but this is great anywway.

-mike
    IP

Any idea how to install this to the internal hard drive?? There's no "install" icon like on other distros...
    IP

Default install to hard disk

See if these instructions work. Maybe outdated?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HardDiskInstall

I haven't looked at an menus yet, but I will when I boot it up again. Maybe I'll find better instructions. It might be in the Help file of the distro too. Let me know if you find it.
    IP

All seems very difficult to a complete novice such as myself?? Which is a real shame, it should be made more (average) user friendly to install??
    I really like this distro and already had my son play around with it and he loves it... He aspecially loves all the graphic apps!!!
    But, if it's gonna be this difficult to install to the HD, I guess I may just remix a copy of PCLinuxOS to "mimic" TeenPup as much as possible. The desktop wont be the same environment but... It's more the packaging I truely like.
    Maybe I'll give an install a try first but.. it just seems too involved.

I won't comment further on this, as this is a "graphics" forum, not a Linux forum... but, congrats on being the first Distro to include Xara as part of the main packaging.... It's a very big plus for both Xara and Linux!!!!
    IP

If you need help with Linux I recommend www.justlinux.com and/or www.linuxquestions.org
    IP