Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sockxpert.com - Stock Images. Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I suspect that many posters here would be happy to sell some of their work for a negligible sum, just as a way of sharing and getting even a little commercial recognition for their work. It's not all about money.
    Nobody in this thread disagrees - jump in with both feet if you wish, nobody will stop you! Some (I'm one of them) are merely trying to educate the ones that don't know of how it works, to not go in blind - but to research!

In any event, whose to say what a few images sold for an euro might lead to in terms of more lucrative work? I for one am very grateful that people do allow their work to be sold on these sites.
    Nobody in this thread disagrees - jump in with both feet if you wish, nobody will stop you! Some (I'm one of them) are merely trying to educate the ones that don't know of how it works, to not go in blind - but to research!

I am grateful for the debate about the economics of these sites and really do feel the better for it, but I think the agressive tone against these sites is best left out of the forums. The point has been well made.
    The thread didn't belong here in the first place, but as it was viewed and placed on a busy forum - it needed a reality check, and not just a "thumbs up!"

I'm actually dissapointed by the reception given to the guy from stockxpert. I think that while he did have a personal agenda, he was not from some fly by night operation and many people did actually point out competing sites.
    How about the other 20 micro stock sites, 43 normal stock sites, 109 web developers, 399 pill pushers, 153 hosting services, 68 software companies and the 2093 other business that try push ther products and services here? How about their personal agendas?

My issue is with the promotion of one particluar site - as that's how it started (read post one). Members are free to discuss the pros and cons of any of these sites.

So basically, we're all adults, can form an opinion and not everyone wants to make a big income from their work, but it doesn't mean their selling out in some way.
    What if I went really crazy one night and revealed that I, together with an old TG Corel Painter and CG member combine our effors on "leftovers" and rake in over $3000 a months from 4 micro stock sites? Of course it's not true... But if it was, would it make a difference? No! I'm merely saying that people should do their homework to understand how it works before committing. And that there are more options that just the one mentioned.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 03 October 2007 at 12:47 AM.
    IP

Gosh Risto, you're all fired up about this.

I just didn't wan't your take on the evil microsite to be the only one.

I appreciate your points, plus the spam implication about the post.

I think we're all educated now.

The whole thread is rather ironical. Someone suggests that Xara users might wish to sell they're stuff on a bon-fide website and gets jumped upon (at length) because the poster will make some money if the Xara artist sells something.

Makes me smile anyway..

Please don't debate this post - it's not worth it and my last comments aren't serious!

Paul
    IP

Gosh Risto, you're all fired up about this.
    Thank you, I try to take the time for it.

I just didn't wan't your take on the evil microsite to be the only one.
    I never said, "evil"... Some even rake in over $3000 from these sites... Nothing evil about that...

I appreciate your points, plus the spam implication about the post.
    Not Spam... Chris Dickman and JupiterMedia would never Spam anyone, nor would Gary. I'm saying that TG is for members - not businesses; and that there are options.

I think we're all educated now.
    Thanks, glad I could help.

Please don't debate this post - it's not worth it and my last comments aren't serious!
    Well, I'm commited to it now..

Risto
    IP

Gary

Have you considered putting this on the xaraxone [sorry if you already have] - might actually reach a wider xara userbase?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    ... - jump in with both feet if you wish, nobody will stop you!
    Risto: You are not in a position to say this. I recall that you have stopped discussions in the past when things said in them didn't agree with what you dictated. You even removed those threads.
    IP

As I said before, this thead would have been nuked off the face of the planet had it been posted by a mere "link-dropper", "spammer" or "web developer".

Looking at my posts here - where am I flawed in regards to my comments on how these web ventures work? Where?

I dictate nothing here. There are a lot of moderators here and we all pitch in on "what works or not". It's been looked at for some time now.

I have stopped ZERO posts for personal reasons. My personal opinions matter nothing... A few posts have been stopped by myself and other moderators because they simply didn't belong here (as determined by all moderators).

In fact, I have never seen a "hang Risto and his children" thread yet - if I see one - I promise I will get very personal. PMs, emails and anoymous form mail sends about hangings don't count...

As for the content of this thread - talk away - I might even learn something I didn't know - I'll let you know right away, as I have mouths to feed.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Risto: You are not in a position to say this. I recall that you have stopped discussions in the past when things said in them didn't agree with what you dictated. You even removed those threads.
    Last edited by RTK; 05 October 2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Some spelling
    IP

...I dictate nothing here...
    You have done so in the past, by locking and/or eliminating threads you didn't like, and that is why I am saying you are not in a position to make your original comment.
    IP

You have done so in the past, by locking and/or eliminating threads you didn't like,
    Yes, threads have been locked or deleted that WE (asked to help out here) didn't think were appropriate, Yes, on occasion threads have been allowed to go a bit longer than they should have (with the hopes that they would correct themselves) but when they didn't - they were removed.

On occasion I have been asked to remove threads that I personally didn't think needed removal. So what? Issues are discussed before acted on!

David, so what about the topic of this thread? What are your thoughts about micro stock sites? It's here to be discussed... Help educate the ones that don't know how it work. Your thoughts?

and that is why I am saying you are not in a position to make your original comment.
    Which comment is that? All my comments has to do with educating the member's that don't know how it works - so they don't get screwed by surprise. How did you help?

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 05 October 2007 at 05:33 AM.
    IP

Which comment is that?
    answer:

- jump in with both feet if you wish, nobody will stop you!
    How did you help?
    By pointing out to the poster that that is a false comment, and that they sometimes have to watch what they say, or they will be censored, even if it is on the Off-Topic Chat board, where supposedly anything can be discussed civilly. And the threads I am referring to were civil and educational, just as this one is.
    IP

David,

Not one word has been "censored" in this thread...

By all means jump in with both feet - sign-up (with one or a few of them) - let us know how you sold or didn't sell... Please do share! Perhaps we can even compare stats at the end of the year?

Perhaps there can even be a great thread showing which of the slew of micro stock site work the best for vector illustrations? And for what particular theme? Maybe we can even share what micro sites are turning down certain images, because they have enough for that theme... It saves time and effort of TG members, no?

As has been mentioned many times in this thread - please do share your experienced with micro stock sites. Anything that helps TG members is never bad.

As poor (and blunt) as my Swedish-English (Swenglish) is - I'm not "evil! For the tenth time - I'm merely suggesting that you should do your homework so you don't end up giving your work away for free...

Seeing that Gary didn't have a clue about the Corbis and Getty micro sites - even he has something to learn, no? I don't hate or despise him for it (still love him)... We all have something to learn!

What was the other option here? Keeping my mouth shut even though I knew that many TG members will get screwed? Sorry... it will never happen. I'll still be here "trying" to share what I have learned in my web-travels even after I get fed-up committing more time than I really have... ...

Again, David, in this thread I have heard nothing from you on your thoughts on Micro Stock Sites. So far you have only complained about myself and a4hire, Albacore, Alcatraz, Availor, Christine Farrelly, Egg Bramhill, gwpriester, remi, Ross Macintosh, simsmj, sledger, Soquil, stlewis, Mike Bailey, Waldkauz...

Seriously, you have never asked yourself why the mods here are vonlunteering their time? It has never crossed your mind that all mods have real lives? We are all here for you... Finding that one file line that makes all thousand of people happy is tricky. Here's a tidbit for you: just because members / lurkers don't post, it doesn't mean they don't care...

With baby spew on my shirt (and a sweaty but wonderfully smelling 2-year-old baby boy asleep on my shoulder) - I bid you good night.

Risto
    IP