Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I want to do a career in web design, I just don't know what part of it I want to do.?

I can do the tables, HTML, XHTML, CSS, links, menus, standards, layering, and I am starting to learn javascript but I can also do the web graphics part of the site, such as buttons, backgrounds, animations and I am learning to do more, but I really don't know if it is a good idea to pursue both of these, or just go for either Web Programming, or the Web Graphics Design part of it, I am savy with Macromedia Fireworks, Paintshop Pro, and some others, but I really don't know what is more favored when trying to get a job at a web site design company. I have asked many questions like this and have not got what I am looking for. I would like to pursue the one that pays more, and is easier to get into as a future career path.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 24 September 2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Url link was removed: Possible spam

Default Re: I want to do a career in web design, I just don't know what part of it I want to

The important thing is to get experience - design and build stuff for friends and good causes. Then you begin to have a track record.

It seems to me a great designer will earn more money than a great developer, but that a mediocre designer will earn less than a good devloper.

I think you have a problem if you are just motivated by chasing money.

You say that you have already asked questions but not found what you are looking for. What do you mean by that?

Paul

[Edit: Particularly on the design front - being interested in design for it's own sake is important. I'm not sure you can be a designer in response to chasing money. I'm not a designer, but always annoy my kids by commenting on the design of things - anything at all].
    Last edited by pauland; 24 September 2007 at 07:26 AM.

Default Re: I want to do a career in web design, I just don't know what part of it I want to

Actually you can learn all of that if you want to, take it one step at a time. Don't rush things. It depends if you are creative enough then probably you pursue the Graphic Design part which I think is much enjoyable but if you want to squeeze your brain and enjoy to solve complicated problems then go with the Web Programming.

Now between the two Web Programming and Graphic Design, I think the Web Programming has the higher salary rate. It's really up to you!