Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello everybody,

My point is to create 3D map of a local ski resort in Greece.
    The idea is to print them and if is possible to have a 3D tour visualitation.

The software that I work is the 3d Analyst - ArcGIS.
    I have Digital Data like orthophotos (3x4klm with 1cell size), DEM with cellsize 25,
    countours every 20m.
    Also I have 3d shapefiles with ski routes and slopes with GPS.
    The exported files that I have from 3d Analyst is:
    · 3d surfase (format .jpg) and is really very nice.
    · .wrl file

My question is:
    1) How can I process the jpg file to be more detailed and photorealistic (with trees, buildigs,snow, lifts...)?
    2) What can I do with the exported .wrl file? Is it editable?
    3) Any software recommendation?

Any help and solution is welcome.
    Thank you
    Dimitris

Hello everybody,

My point is to create 3D map of a local ski resort in Greece.
    The idea is to print them and if is possible to have a 3D tour visualitation.

The software that I work is the 3d Analyst - ArcGIS.
    I have Digital Data like orthophotos (3x4klm with 1cell size), DEM with cellsize 25,
    countours every 20m.
    Also I have 3d shapefiles with ski routes and slopes with GPS.
    The exported files that I have from 3d Analyst is:
    · 3d surfase (format .jpg) and is really very nice.
    · .wrl file

My question is:
    1) How can I process the jpg file to be more detailed and photorealistic (with trees, buildigs,snow, lifts...)?
    2) What can I do with the exported .wrl file? Is it editable?
    3) Any software recommendation?

Any help and solution is welcome.
    Thank you
    Dimitris

Hi Dimitris... welcome to TG

Wow, a real 3d meat and potatoes type of question... and to be honest, I personaly, have no experience in the field you are enquiring about...

however, I would think that a good start would be to type in "terrain software" in a search engine like Google... this will bring up pages of options to explore regarding this field of expertise.

Maybe take a look at Vue Pro for creating some of those things you are looking to include into your scene...

it will import 3d objects/models created with other well known and supported software... ie building etc... as well should be able to import your DEM files... etc...

There are several apps which do some of the stuff like what you are looking for, such as Terragen for instance, but for professional use, I dunno...

Maybe do a google search for "free 3D models" and who knows, you just might find a building or two, maybe even a lift, though on this last one I wouldn't hold your breath

I suppose that you could always model these things up in most any reputable 3D software ...

regarding .wrl files... again I really have no experience with this type of file, all I can suggest is to also do a search... I believe it is a vrml compliant format designed for showing things on the web...

anyways, not much help I am afraid... go Google would seem to be the only solid answer I can come up with

Maybe another member here at TG will be more in tune with some specifics... here's hoping

Good luck with your quest/project... and do drop by and let us know how you fared, and perhaps post some of your worx to view... would be very cool to take a peek for sure

You might try Morfit. They make a terain
    creator that uses data
    Judy aka Truckerette49

Bryce can use the DEM file as a displacment map to make a terrain model, trees are tuff on memory, Some folks use 3D planes and texture/trans map trees. Props can be modeled with a 3d modeler. Scaling might be a bit tricky.

Try doing a web search, keyword (3D worlds) and (VRML), get a plug in so you can check some worlds out and get an idea of the possibilities.

Check out some books on the subject as well.