Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Editing menu without XWS etc files

Hi all.

I have an associate who's Web site navigation was constructed using Xara Menu Maker version 1.1.

They now need to edit the menu structure to add a menu link to a new webpage.

The problem is that the original Projects folder has "disappeared", along with the XWS and XGT files.

xaramenu.js, projectname.js, the JPG and GIF files, and a projectname.html file are all present in a folder on the website.

I've had a look at the mishmash of JavaScript and it's beyond my capabilities to decipher.

Can the files on the website be used in any way to solve the problem?

TIA
    Billy

Default Re: Editing menu without XWS etc files

Hi Billy,

It would be difficult but not impossible to edit the javascript and add a new button graphic.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I don't think that reply is very satisfactory.

I have a similar problem myself. After installing Windows Vista I realized I also wiped out the project files of the menus I made with Xara MM. I am not quite looking forward to making them over again from scratch but I imagine I could 'couple' somehow the old javascript file to a new bar, so at least I will not have the make the same menu structure again.

Is this possible (and if so, how)?

Andrew Valkenburg, The Netherlands
    http://links.andrewvalkenburg.nl/index.html

Andrew it will be easier to recreate the menu's using ManuMaker or Webstyle rather than try and edit the javascript.

I'm sorry you felt that the previous response to Billy's question was not satisfactory. I volunteer some of my personal time being a moderator here at Talkgraphics. I also do not use MenuMaker or Webstyle so I have to devote some time researching the files created. The simple answer to Billy's question was the one I gave. It is easier to recreate the project files in MenuMaker or Webstyle than to manually modify a working menu.
    Last edited by Soquili; 25 September 2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your quick reply. I better learn from this and back-up those Project files before changing the system.

Apart from all this I think it's a shame Xara has not released yet a new and Vista based version of MenuMaker. I don't need a complete suite and MM exactly fits my needs.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewvalkenburg View Post
    Apart from all this I think it's a shame Xara has not released yet a new and Vista based version of MenuMaker. I don't need a complete suite and MM exactly fits my needs.
    Well, quite apart from this issue, Menumaker is way behind the times.

It's my own fault for not checking more carefully beforehand, but I would never have purchased MenuMaker, used it for a site of my own, nor recommended it to my friend, had I known beforehand that it could not produce site maps from the resulting code.

You'd be hard pressed to find another program of this type that doesn't have that feature.

As far as I'm concerned MenuMaker is abandoned until its updated, at which time no doubt we will have to pay an upgrade fee to get a much needed feature that should have been there at the outset.

- Billy

Here it is 2010 and when my hard drive died last year I had everything backed up or so I thought. Unfortunately Webstyle 4/Menu Maker saves the project files in it's program files, not where I save things normally. I had to manually rebuild one menu and now I have another to do. I thought that there would be some sort of way to have the program rebuild the project, but I couldn't find one either and looks like no one has a solution. I would gladly pay for an updated program that allows a rebuild or in the least allows the project file save place to be chosen by the user! If anyone has any solutions for an easier rebuild, please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Susy

I'm in a similar predicament.

I created a menu using MenuMaker only a month or so ago. Last week my PC crashed and the only course of action was to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I tried the upgrade but because the PC wouldn't boot I had to go for a clean install in the end. Windows 7 dumped all the old Windows files in a folder (called not surprisingly "Windows.old"), so obviously in my case the files are all there somewhere.

I have now re-installed Menu Maker but obviously it isn't seeing the previous stuff. I know it's there but I can't find it. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can re-acquaint my new install with the old files?

Surely there must be a way.

Manu Maker saves the project files in the C:\Program Files\Xara\Menu Maker\WSTemplates folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm-projects.gif 
Views:	233 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	69095  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Jimi,

Have you tried copying over the contents of the folder:
    C:\Windows.old\Program Files\Xara\Menu Maker\WSTemplates

to:

C:\Program Files\Xara\Menu Maker\WSTemplates

Oops, Bill beat me while I installed MM trial and tested