Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Remove glare/reflections from eyeglasses

I have photographed several people that wear eyeglasses and the glare/reflection from the flash shows on
    their glasses.
    How do I remove the glare/reflection without loosing the eye behind the glasses?
    I'm using PSP X.
    IP

Default Re: Remove glare/reflections from eyeglasses

IMO, the only way is replacing the "bad" spots with "good" fragments (taken from either other eye or other image)
    IP

Azjoe, can you attach a photo to show us how bad a glare you are dealing with?

I've done lots of shots of store windows with glare on the glass. Often I've been able to restore a lot of the detail by using Levels, or cloning from places where the glare didn't hit. However, there has to be sufficient information in the glared on area to coax out. If all you have is white bursts---the reflection of the flash---on the glasses, then there isn't anything left to retrieve.

Here's an example of a store window. Across the street were some buildings that reduced the amount of glare falling on much of the contents of the window that I wanted to capture. Through adjusting levels, saturation and balance, I coaxed the colors out from under the glare in the lower 3/4 of the image. In this instance, the remaining traces of reflection contributed a feeling of the subject's trying to emerge from behind the glare.

If you shared a sample of the eyeglasses glare you have, we'd be in a better position to let you know what could be done. There might even be a possibility of using Red Eye Removal along with something else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	1221 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	41559  
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

I have attached the photo with the eyeglass glare.
    Thanks!

Name:	00550008.jpg 
Views:	1612 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	41575  
    IP

Here is a quick illustration of what I meant. For healing glares I cloned / copied fragments from the other eye. Some missing areas (e.g., eyelashes) were merely painted over with the Brush.

Name:	glares.jpg 
Views:	1375 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	41580  
    Last edited by Andrei Doubrovs; 22 September 2007 at 04:30 AM.
    IP

Wonderful job, Andrei. I think that AZjoe will be delighted by what you've demonstrated can be done. It requires skill to do it as smoothly as you have, and shows the kind of pay off for those who acquire it. Bravo!
    Please visit my photo galleries: www.pbase.com/soenda
    IP

That is great work!!
    Thank you very much!
    IP

Hi AZJoeFoto! I'm in AZ, too
    This really isn't about graphics, but just wanted to share a little tip in case you didn't know about it
    this tip isn't going to help with this pic, since it was all ready taken, but for the future, having the glasses-wearer tilt their glasses slightly forward (meaning that the arms of the glasses would be raised slightly above the ear) should cut out most glare for a photo and works great for video, too. Sometimes it can be tough to get glasses to stay that way - they tend to want to rest back on the top of the ear - but you can usually get enough of a tilt to take care of the problem.
    This can usually help with a lot of reflection issues, too. Anyway, like I said, this may be old news to you, but if it's not, I wanted you to hear about it! Happy Photo-ing
    IP