Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default are there any plug-ins for Xara LX?

Hey folks,
    Can anyone tell me if there are any plug-ins available for Xara LX?? And if so... where can I get em?? Thanks

Paul
    IP

Default Re: are there any plug-ins for Xara LX?

As far as I know that functionality isnt implemented yet, but I guess it will be someday.
    IP

Im wondering if there will be any further work on LX now with the whole ImageMagick situation?? I hope so. I think all of us should try to let Xara and Magick know that if they can get it done... there's all of us future purchasers in the end
    I know I would definitely be more than happy to "pay" for a full linux version, myself!!!! This is the only thing stopping me from going completely linux!!!!
    The "only" time I fire-up the ole' MS machine... is to use Xara Extreme Pro!!!! Here in lies my problem.... I don't want to go out and buy Xara Pro for the MS.... and then have to go and re-buy it later for linux..... But I have to decide soon.... and prob will have to anyway

Im worried that 1780 is going to be the last build / update... I mean, dont get me wrong... it's great!!! and already a very useful tool... but it's just not the "full" item.... and I find myself getting stuck where I have to transfere everything to the MS machine to get that "extra" little finishing touch.....

Even if it goes no further..... I will always keep and use LX 1780, (couldnt pry it outta my cold dead hands).... But Im hoping for more....
    Last edited by geminiguy; 20 September 2007 at 07:10 PM.
    IP

What is the ImageMagicK situation?
    IP

ImageMagick?????

I know that development of the Linux version of Xtreme has been very, very slow for the past year. The purchase of Xara Ltd by MAGIX AG happened earlier this year. How that affected the open source development is not clear to me.

The lack of Linux community support has been the primary reason there has not been much done on that project. At least that is my understanding. Independant Linux developers say they will not support the project because the core rendering engine will not be released as open source. There has been some talk about possibly using an open source rendering engine by some people but I have not seen anything posted.

I do not know of anyone working on making plug-ins for the Linux version. This is probably because they do not know how or if there will be more development on the project.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    Im wondering if there will be any further work on LX now with the whole ImageMagick situation??
    I was asking because of this statement. Mabey they got the names confused.
    IP

Yes I do believe that Paul (Geminiguy) may have meant to write MAGIX rather than ImageMagick.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yes, I had the name wrong... )apologies).... I was going on it from memory.... (always a huge mistake for me)
    But Bill, I do recall reading somewhere that Magix< does not like the idea of releasing some final codes?? I could be mistaken on this as well.... but I think Im not... it's about a 50/50 problem which has things stuck where they are
    But, this is also why Linux has it's own issues too.... When you go to purchase software at a store, you never see in the system requirments.... "Linux kernel" etc.?? You see Ms and Mac....
    alot of people Linux users seem to think that "open-source" should mean "everything for free"?? How is Linux ever going to go "main-stream" as alot of folks would like to see (in homes, etc.) with this outlook??
    Everyone thinks Xara should just make "all" their unique features "free"... where would that put Xara?? I do not follow this faith... I would gladly pay for Xara for Linux, just the same as any other format.... (even if they dont go full GPL)... the same for alot of other software.... like children's educational items.......
    The one downfall of Linux... is the "fanatical" users / developers... which make up most of the community.... (shame really)
    What I remember reading was, Magix does not wish to go full GPL (nor does Xara) as then anyone would be able to replicate their unique system... and it would, in the end... bury them....., And yes... Linux developers have done practically "nothing" to move on with LX simply for this reason..... (which I feel is "fanatic absurdity") and a pity to all like myself
    Xara could have such an expanded market/clientel.... and the Linux community would gain the "best" vector graphics system on the market....
    In any case... sorry for the mis-naming... but as for the subject, Im sure if someone looked for it, they'd find what Im talking about
    I side with Xara / Magix on their decision. And feel the Linux community should begin to soften their view on these matters.... to expand their software compatibility. This would attract far more users
    I have no prob with software not geing full GPL.... if it's a good product, it's a good product.... (which is why I use Solaris as well)
    Last edited by geminiguy; 28 September 2007 at 04:34 AM.
    IP

I agree that not everything should be free. But the program should be able to function in it's free version. And I was under the impression that the non-opensource part was not just a bonus feature but a essential piece to make the program function. And because of that it couldn't be put in the main distro repositories and get as much attention. I know this part can be replaced and I would have though there would have been more of a community effort to port the cairo rendering engine to xara. (I'm probably wrong about the above but this is what I remembered)

I disagree with the kernel statement somewhat. Mac programs often say that their for 10.4 and Windows programs for Vista etc. I know that most older programs work in Vista and Mac but so do a lot of linux ones in newer kernels. And you always have friendly package managers to make newer ones for you
    Last edited by crazybus; 28 September 2007 at 05:13 AM.
    IP

The CDRAW rendering engine is the core of all Xara vector applications. And what gives Xara it's advantage over all other vector applications.

Many Linux developers say they will not contribute toward a Xara Xtreme for Linux without having access to the CDRAW code.

That is what has caused the further development to be at a cross roads.

Some talk about using Cairo (an open source rendering engine) has been made but I have not seen anything happening towards that end.

Cairo is not as fast or as clean as CDRAW in my opinion. And appearantly to many others. They do not think Cairo would produce a program that could compare to Xtreme that is built on CDRAW.

ImageMagick is a compilation of bitmap manipulation code that I believe is used in the Linux version of Xtreme to support import and export of bitmap file formats. That may be where the confusion about MAGIX and ImageMagick came from.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP