Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi,

She has got her hands and feet now. I hope you like them. Even if I am not totally satisfied of the hands that's a great step in this work !

kindly,
    ivan

Hi,

She has got her hands and feet now. I hope you like them. Even if I am not totally satisfied of the hands that's a great step in this work !

kindly,
    ivan

She looks so fine Ivan... You really have some nice shapes going on,

now perhaps you might get down and bring in some surface features such as wrinkles... I think that this would really go a long way to make this beauty even more realistic than present...

What subd setting do you model in ?

Hahaha,

Thanks Gidgit. I didn't know réséda was so realistic. That's not really my goal ; I follow my feelings first. She is an abstraction in my mind I am living with from a long time in my childhood.
    About wrinkles I am not sure because in my stories she is a (living) plastic doll. In fact her skin is made of a slight procedural negative crumple bump at a tiny scale, with a fast fresnel shader which adds light in the shadows and very slightly reflects the environment.
    I model the most often at subd level 2 in fast shading mode. That's very comfortable.

kindly,
    ivan

Ah, ok, that explains a lot Ivan... Plastic doll... doh, what the heck was I thinking

Carry on Ivan... are you going to animate in LW, or wait for the bones to be developed and released in Silo?

Wonderful Ivan. You have made a marvelous model. She is unique.

Thanks Gidgit and Mike,

Here is an update of the body ; I think I will work again on legs and arms before terminating hands. (Mike, she is very proud !!!)

Gidgit, as I am more an illustrator I think the idea to implement bones in Silo as a modeling tool is wondeful. Before that I will try to pose my characters without bones. It's a little bit tricky but it is possible.

kindly,
    ivan

Hi Ivan, I too, can hardly wait for Silo to gain bones... I mean if they end up as nice in design as say the subd tools then whahoo eh...

but in the mean time, I think it is great that they are working on getting the best modeling tools done up first.... really and truly, it's all good, and soon enough Silo will have the best tools for modeling, and no doubt the best tools for animating as well... these guys are serious about the tools they build eh, and what, with the SDK out now, this should take the load off of Jam and Feed a bit and give them more opurtunity to go forward with some other stuff, such as the animation for instance... soon enough Ivan, soon enough... and it will no doubt be worth the little wait for the time being, as these guys are very creative with thier solutions

and yea, I am betting you will do very well in posing Reseda here as she has a nice subd cage to work with... not nearly as heavy a mesh as the modeling I do, and thus will make for much less manipulation to achieve same result in manual posing... Pose away Ivan You will no doubt do a super job at it...

Hey, what about Mikes solution for posing stuff... What do you use Mike? Daz? How easy is it to set things up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What do you use Mike? How easy is it to set things up? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use poser, Basicly you group polygons and attach them to a bone. The bones are set up in a parent child relationship, each joint has 3 movements (primitives) twist, side to side and bend, each movement is assigned to an axis, ex. a shoulder, twist would be on the X axis, front to back or side to side on the Y axis, bend on the Z axis. A neck, twist would be on the y axis, side to side on the Z axis, bend on the X axis. And so on for each joint. A joint has an adjustable bend zone that stretches and bends the mesh as a bone is moved.

To save time borrow a rig from an existing model, adjust and modify it to fit your new model.

It takes a bit of work and problem solving but its worth it. Imagine you create some clothing for a character, well the cloths have to be rigged to move with the character or your character models will jump out of their cloths.

Last update before playing with the hair (not hair in fact, only very special heads ornaments ;-) )

ivan