Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Line management suggestion

Hi,

Recently I test the new Xara Xtreme where some old suggestions had been implemented but one: the line offset management for every type of lines.

The reasons to persist with this suggestion are:

1. Xara's lines must work as CSS if it pretends to be used for Web design. The stroke width is always at the side of its trace, it may change to left or right from W3C standards to MS IE, but there is nothing like tracing from the middle of pixels.
    2. Xara´s competitors had offered it from years. There is not reason in making tricks to use Xara when other products make it, as well as other features.
    3. It will make easier to work with line widths in general. Now the feature is available for some type of lines but the use of percents is not as simply as set the 100% offset directly, it is neither available for plain lines.

Enclosed is how the control may be.

Greetings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linegallerymenu.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	41277  

Default Re: Line management suggestion

Why not Convert Line to Shape?

Then you can make the line, stroked line, brush stroke, arrowhead, any size you wish.

Gary

Apparentely there is not an easy way to use that, ie. the stroke of objects, there the line is already a shape, it would be nedeed some tricks like cloning the objects to make the same than a single click would with the feature suggested.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 16 September 2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of the previous post ~ Egg

Can I ask what vector drawing package has offered this type line management? I think I know AI and FH quite well and they don't offer this you could be right in Corel Draw and Flash as I haven't used them in years.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Is this about how the line can overlap the area of the shape it surrounds? If so, you could try the contour tool instead.

I know what you mean about wanting all the bells and whistles other programs offer, it can be difficult making the transition to Xtreme, but the philosophy of Xara is to keep things clean and simple (at least from the users point of view), so all those 'extras' are unlikely to be added.

That isn't such a bad thing.

Being a linework bod, one of the things I love and hate about E3 is the line width palette. It allows you to sculpt the shape of each line to exactly how you want it. Add to that the B-spline line tool (which gives about the most beautiful curves I have seen) and it is one of the best programs there is for line. But working with E3 also eats up hours and hours of time, as I just get caught up with endlessly tweaking the line widths and shapes.

What a relief it was to commit to Xtreme for my linework, though I would like the facility to add some of my own stroke shapes, I am very happy with the quality of line and the speed I can get my linework done in Xtreme. I would starve if not for Xtreme LOL!