Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temptress!

Default Re: Temptress!

Thanks GG, I'm not surprised you 'updated' the era at all. This is after all a 'modern' take on that style. My decision to make the designs very clean and use 'cell shading' is miles away from the original design style, which is cluttered and often fully painted.

Having a 'retro' feel is good enough for me, no need to be precise, my main concern is to emulate the over the top appeal to emotion. Funnily enough, 50's and 60's style retro is far more popular and allows the inclusion of the distinctive patterns of that time and the 'jazzed' style of drawing that is second only to Anime in popularity online.

Being not too smart, I choose to go for an era that is very narrow in its appeal, it's fun anyway.

Very nice retro MMW

As for not being too smart - maybe is - working in an area of limited appeal often means a lot less 'back-street driving' from your peers - I speak from experience
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I like your style for these 'retro' magazine cover images. Reminiscent of the era but with your personal touch.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Steve and Bill, I'm still developing this style of rendering, though the basic drawings and rough ideas have been in my sketchbook for some time.

I find that I'm spending a great deal of time in 'polishing' up the composition. Perhaps thats a consequence of having limited detail.

edit:

O.K. just heard back from the client, he loves it, but (there's always a but) he suggests putting some detail outside the window, foliage or such. I'll be looking at that sometime this week and updating when I've got something to show.

Just a bit of fun, this pre-code comic cover is so daft, I'm just going to have to do some super-hero covers; http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=7690&zoom=4
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 04 September 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Here is an idea... How about darkening the sky a bit and adding a backlit pine tree or two?

If you would like to add a little polish to the moon you can always use one of the full moons from off my site for a model... moon
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks John, I think it will probably be a backlit tree or two or maybe a few stray branches.

Hey nice site, excellent photos, really top quality work. I think I need to keep the Moon flat though, thanks again.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 05 September 2007 at 01:59 AM.

Stray branches sounds good to me - perhaps with just a hint of the actual trunk mostly offstage but perhaps not - too much clutter'll ruin it thats for sure.

it would be authentic for the 40/50's pastiche
    Last edited by handrawn; 05 September 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: yet another typo sigh
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm with drifter... If it's gonna fall... Let it!! Great stuff, love the style

Thanks Steve, yes I don't want too much detail, perhaps a simple silouhette of foliage around the top corners.

Derek thanks, as for that dress, these are the risks we must live with.

Great work again! I agree that you should be minimal with the trees or what ever you put in the window.
    One thing I noticed. The woman outside of the window appears to be looking off to the side and not at the couple inside. Shouldn't she be looking at her man with the temptress?
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire