Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SVG rendering

Default Re: SVG rendering

Remi - if Sledger will forgive a slight shift towards off-topic - would you recommend Scribus as a windows DTP app? - What I'm saying: anything significant I should be aware of if I give it a go? Looks good at first sight.
    Thanks.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yeh flash works.

Oh well, I'll put away the SVG toy until I have a better use for it

Edit: Ah yes more toys, Scribus. I remember trying that at the begining of the year. Ran like treacle in winter on my machine
    Maybe you can let us know how the latest release runs/walks/strolls/crawls ??
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 04 September 2007 at 12:50 PM.

I don't use Scribus. I've tested it a little bit and found no "killer features" compared to other DTP solutions. But if you're searching for a OpenSource DTP alternative, Scribus could be a proper solution for you.

Remi

Thanks Remi - not able to part with much cash at present
    Nothing lasts forever...

Serif PagePlus SE is free. Only for Windows. It is essentially PagePlus 9, with the current rev level being XE, which would be 12. More on PagePlus including links directly to the free version and the for-pay version:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PagePlus

There are those of us who argue that PagePlus is better than InDesign, but of course, we're biased. PagePlus is certainly easier to use. PagePlus and Microsoft Publisher stay pretty much neck-and-neck on the features front, but of course Microsoft won't provide earlier revs for free.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Serif forums resemble this venue -- all the freedom you need to ask questions and a top group of highly experienced and knowledgeable users who often provide answers instantly.

Thanks - will look into that too
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have tested Scribus, Pagedraw and several other word processor/ DTP programs as an alternative to Word. Mainly because I have a thing about mindlessly using Word for single page letters and small reports. What this exercise , which I conducted over several months, did was it forced me to look seriously at what I really needed in the way of a small project word processor. These turned out to be 1. Ability to handle RTF and 2. to be compatible with Word. 3. To be small, fast and free. I scoured high and low and finally settled on Atlantis Nova. AN will push text around very quickly but is not the best if you have a lot of graphics. It gets very slow under those conditions. Just my 2 cents.
    Erik

Thanks Erik

More the DTP side I'm interested at the moment - WP,s I have
    Nothing lasts forever...