Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cut-Out Resolutions

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what resolution would be suitable for a graphic if i wanted to make a cardboard cut-out approx 5'6" big?

Default Re: Cut-Out Resolutions

Why not ask the serice bureau where you wil have it printed? I would assume that they have different qualities of cardboard (material) to choose from... If I would take a wild blind stab at it - 150 dpi. However, if you create create your graphic for 300 dpi it can easily be sampled down.

Risto

Does the number of pixels big make a difference to the quality aswell?

I.e. if it was 3000 x 2000 as opposed to 4000 x 3000??

Apples and oranges. Resolution is usually measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Printing usually requires 150-600 ppi, for example. So if you want to print an image 5'6" tall, that's 66" X 600 = 39600 pixels high X however wide. IOW, the size in pixels is what is going to determine the resolution at the size you want to print. If it's too low, you'll just get an lousy, unsharp print -- which might actually be suitable for your purpose -- we don't know.

As Risto says though, ask the guy who's printing it. He'll most certainly know best. And don't expect much from a 3000 X 2000 px image for that size print.
    Last edited by LonK; 25 August 2007 at 08:16 PM.
    Lonnie

Quote Originally Posted by LonK View Post
    Apples and oranges. Resolution is usually measured in pixels per inch (ppi). Printing usually requires 150-600 ppi, for example. So if you want to print an image 5'6" tall, that's 66" X 600 = 39600 pixels high X however wide. IOW, the size in pixels is what is going to determine the resolution at the size you want to print. If it's too low, you'll just get an lousy, unsharp print -- which might actually be suitable for your purpose -- we don't know.
    What Lonnies said - Apples and oranges... Think pixels when viewing it on screen and PPI/DPI when printing it on paper.

4000 pixels / 300 = 13.3
    3000 pixels / 300 = 10.0

A 4000 by 3000 pixel image printed at 300 PPI/DPI will come out at 13.3 inches by 10 inches... Hardly a cut-out.

4000 pixels / 150 = 26.6
    3000 pixels / 150 = 20.0

Hardly a cut-out either...

As said, it's probably best to talk to the people that will print it. They should be able to show you the difference in look between different resolutions used. And what they require to print what you need.

Risto

Ok then guys, thanks alot for the help. And thnaks for giving it in a simpletons language. it helped alot. thank you!

Glad we could help you on your way.

Simpleton? Hardly. Do it once... And you are an "expert" like the rest of us...

Welcome to Talkgraphics!

Next time when the question comes up - you'll be able to pitch in and share your "printing" experience.

Cheers.

Risto