Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Text underline in XARA

Hello to all,

yesterday I was composing a kind of graphics & text page, and I just copied and pasted the RTF text into the text boxes. I discovered that all the underline words were gone (the underline, not the word) !

I went back and created a dummy text box, and I discovered the Underline button was missed from any text tool !!!

http://www.talkgraphics.com/attachme...1&d=1187958111

As yuu can see, no U is in the toolbar.

Help, XARA did you forgot it ? How I can have underlined text in the text object ?

Regards.

antimix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under.gif 
Views:	896 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	40773  

Default Re: Text underline in XARA

Xara has never had an underline. You can create your own using just a line.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Antimix,

As John says there's no underline in Xtreme. Do a search on the forums for "underline" and you'll find many posts re this ommision.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Re: Text underline in XARA

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Xara has never had an underline. You can create your own using just a line.
    It is really annoying with a long article !! We got XARA for its easy usage and to save time during work ...

Dear XARA,

please since you promoted version 3.x also as a kind of advanced graphic Desktop Publishing application, with capability on "..importing RTF text", we expect you almost fully support *ALL* the features that can be expressed through the use of the RTF language instructions. May be tables are a little too far for now, but the BASIC things like BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERLINE *SHOULD* be present .

Hope to see this soon in a 3.2.4.xxxx version...

Regards.

antimix

I suppose the ability to work with underscored text may be useful to some, but there is another way!

Right now, as far as I know, if you want to underline a word, you'll need to create that line. Easy enough. But! if it's to emphasize text, you could always use italics.
    •Bob

This is possible more useful when dealing with pre formatted documents that have underlines within the body text and you want to use them in Xara:

Print the document to PDF first (I use PDF Creator print driver) - then import the PDF into Xara without loosing those underlines.

You could I suppose go to the trouble of first creating your textual content in say Wordpad with underlines in place, print to PDF then import into Xara - this might be faster than drawing underlines when there are lot's of underlined sections?.

Why do you want to have underlined text?

With the exception of indicating hyperlinked text, underlined text is rarely used in contemporary type setting. As Bob points out, if you wish to call attention a part of your text, use bold face and/or italics.

Gary

Gary,

Your just after an argument

I must admit I rarely if ever use underlined text, more so since the advent of html using it as a link feature. But at the same time it is a common text formatting feature and something Xara should address.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I really do not want to see xara become indesign

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Gary,

Your just after an argument

....[Underlining] is a common text formatting feature and something Xara should address.
    Hmm, I wonder. Underlining grows out of handwritten communications. Later, underlining was adopted in the typewriter age as a convention for italics or bold, since until near the end of their development, they were constrained to a single font and font effect.

Is underlining really still needed, or is it just an anachronism?