Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dash patterns: for railway lines

1. I'm using Xtreme Pro 3.2.3. I think I may have found a bug when selecting a particular dash pattern in the Line gallery. If you select the second dash pattern (the first is a solid line) it also causes the last pattern to be selected. See the attached file. The last pattern cannot then be selected.

2. Are there any plans to develop a 'dash pattern editor', such as the one at http://engsw.com/PowerCADD/Dashs/Dashs.html
    I would find this extremely useful.

3. Does anyone have a method for creating editable railway lines - i.e. two parallel curves (rails) with regularly spaced sleepers?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Dash patterns

I was just wandering if I can use this site for genaral chat?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnah kaii View Post
    I was just wandering if I can use this site for genaral chat?
    Hi

You can use the off topic forum for general chat - as long as it sticks to the rules -
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=24422
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Williams View Post
    1. I'm using Xtreme Pro 3.2.3. I think I may have found a bug when selecting a particular dash pattern in the Line gallery. If you select the second dash pattern (the first is a solid line) it also causes the last pattern to be selected. See the attached file. The last pattern cannot then be selected.

2. Are there any plans to develop a 'dash pattern editor', such as the one at http://engsw.com/PowerCADD/Dashs/Dashs.html
    I would find this extremely useful.

3. Does anyone have a method for creating editable railway lines - i.e. two parallel curves (rails) with regularly spaced sleepers?
    Hi Noel

I guess one way to do the railway lines would be by creating a brush - in fact I would be surprised if someone hasn't already done it - worth a search of the brushes forum?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hello Noel,

As handrawn states you can either use a brush or the dash pattern. I think the brush works better but it depends a lot on what type of rail track you're after. A map type track or a more accurate track with sleepers. (sleepers are what we call the wooden/concrete bearers under the steel tracks. I'm not sure if this is the same name elsewhere.[EDIT. I now see you come from Scotland so disregard the sleepers comment ;-} ])

See attached xar file.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 21 August 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Dash patterns: for railway lines

I would use 3 lines to draw each section of track.

1. Draw the rails line... ( in my example I used and elipse with a transparent fill and a line width of 32 pts)

2. clone the Line (cntrl-k) This creates a duplicate line at the same postion as the first line. Change the line color to black and set the the line width to something smaller than the rail width (in my example I use a 24 pt line.)

3. Create a custom brush consists of 1 tie (sleeper to you european guys)

4. Clone the top line, then change the freehand and brush tool and apply the custom tie brush... Adjust the tie spacing to specs...

Now draw the choo-choo yourself...

See attached file for choo-choo track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traintracks.gif 
Views:	392 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	40714  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Many thanks Raynerj1 and Egg for your suggestions. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Egg's method is a little bit more fiddly, but unlike the three line method it does work successfully with coloured sleepers/ties. See attached file.

Anyone else agree there is a problem with selecting the second standard dash pattern from the line gallery in the new version of Xtreme Pro?

I tried all the dash patterns... dey all werks fur me... sorry can not duplicate.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Works fine for me too. Try Un-install / Re-install.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Williams View Post
    Anyone else agree there is a problem with selecting the second standard dash pattern from the line gallery in the new version of Xtreme Pro?
    Confirmed.

Basically, if you have a line drawn and selected on the page, you can't swap between applying the 2nd pattern and applying the last pattern. You always have to apply an intermediate pattern.

(Oh, and it doesn't matter whether you apply the pattern by dbl-clicking the pattern or selecting it and clicking the 'Apply' button.)