Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Climbing the heights

What lies over the next rise? What remains unseen because we are too tired to keep on?

When there is no trail, you make your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwitstedSheep.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	40645  
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Default Re: Climbing the heights

Cool sally...

You could probably sell these... If the resolution is high to print...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Thanks, John.

The native resolution of the program appears to be 72 dpi, or perhaps on this is what has been saved in the original picture, I ought to try a 300 dpi image and see what happens. 72 dip output is compensated by having a big height and width so you have the ratio to reach 300 dpi. If I upscaled to a size I might like to print, I'd probably go in and change some things for the resolution, so it doesn't look pixelated, but it could be done. In a large painting, the background texture automatically is less significant. Some programs manage their memory better than others. At times, when working large, I've had to tile my work and reassemble to print.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Climbing the heights

Looks great, Sally!

The basic clone painting feature of ArtRage seems to do as well as Corel Painter. The former probably has more features to customize strokes, in order to make it all more fluid, and less repetitive.

But simply as "an image" to view (for the average (non graphics)) person - it works really well! Well done!

Great source photographs! Are they public domain (please do share! ?) They are great! If you took them yourself: selling the photos as prints will do even better! Amazing stuff!

In all: enjoyable!

Thanks for sharing!

Risto
    IP

I would choose to outsource the print if I wanted something larger than my printers could handle. I think tiling the print would decrease the resale value of the print. It might be okay for personal use, but I don't think you could get top dollar for it.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

This is the Painter forum??? sure looked like the Graphics Gallery to me. If not, you really are off topic, Risto. The subject was painting with ArtRage, finding new techniques.

Here's one I happen to have done in Painter. But then, as you can see, I really don't know how to use that one either. I have the right to prefer what I prefer. And since you bring up Painter, Risto, this is just posted here for comparison. It's all about learning, right, or is it about leading and following?

A programs doesn't need to have every bell and whistle to be capable of being used by someone with an idea of how to make use of it. Whatever one does helps them be more adept at anything else they can try. Easier to learn the next one.

There are loads of things out there that are expensive, not that they don't have good features, you just don't need all the bells and whistles to do things which are fun to look at and didn't take forever to produce. Kind of a habit of mine, work in programs which are productive during the day, so I rather look to get the same productivity when I am off work. Isn't that the point with Xara, gives more than Illy, does much what Photoshop does and now has some InDesign features, makes .pdf, and it is fast. Cost loads less.

I thought finding the way from point A to point B meant you were doing alright. If you do that in record, time, well, when you pay for services rendered, basically customers like that.

You know some people are incapable of paying anyone a compliment. Ego thing with them. Insecurity.

I have been practicing, haven't told anyone I am selling anything. John suggested that I have enough skills. Funny, in my 40 hour a week job, we get return customers all based on my mediocrity.

But then my work is for people who know nothing of how good graphics should look. So, why don't you show us all how it is done? Why don't you post your paintings with a listing of all the reason why mine are so dreadful. If you can do realism and move beyond it, that is because you choose to do something else, don't have to prove it to yourself. And this is why your work is so avant garde, is it?

Perhaps the most beautiful painting one does in their life is the beauty they can give to others. It is a life's work. You rather remind me of the art critic in "History of the World Part I". Mel Brooks is quite funny.

This last one is done in Deep Paint.

Freedom of expression is available on the internet, of course it is limited, as maintaining freedom ought to be. Could you list please the rights again so that there is no doubt, or is it we have the right to remain silent? Not really a a blessing, Risto.

You can clone in ArtRage, it is true, I don't just do cloning. I paint what is there when that is what I want and take out what I don't like, also adding in things which were not there before. I said it before, I have been experimenting with the tools. But you have of course, no doubt, used them far more extensively so you can enlighten us all. Like when I did the Auburn which a friend of mine used to own, I started with what I saw, but changed certain elements as I went along. What is the problem if people like the results, does that offend you? Pretty hard to clone when you have painting which has ten layers.

Painter in comparison on my computer runs quite slowly, so gee, there are loads of brushes, but you can wait and wait to use them. It is a memory management issue, and it depends upon zoom level, number of layers. But it is slower.

If a person becomes an "artist" because of the expense of the program they are using, well, I buy all the upgrades to Xara, except I haven't bought the web stuff, I have the CorelDRAW Suite, I own Painter, and ArtRage, additionally there is PaintShopPro, Ulead PhotoImpact, shall I list them all? Haven't mentioned Adobe, do have some of that stuff too. Isn't Xara's point, is the professionalism of the program is look what people are doing with it??? Doesn't the same logic work for other programs which give good results? I rather think it is a good thing to support the little guy. Aren't most of us, "the little guy" ourselves???

Many people find resources to draw and fiddle around with, in books, magazines, resources provides in schools, purchased photos, and downloads from the internet, I have not used any of this commercially.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunflower2post.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	40663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freedom.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	40664  

Last edited by sallybode; 18 August 2007 at 04:24 AM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

I think you're being too defensive and overreacting a bit, Sally. Risto's 'thumbs up,' "Looks great," "it works really well!," "Well done!," "Amazing stuff!," "enjoyable!," and "Thanks for sharing!" don't come across negatively to me.
    IP

Risto's whole point is to make anyone look bad who isn't one of the "yes" men. You have to agree with him, but I don't. I reserve the right to disagree. It's a man's world, you see. I was here 8 years with what he has insisted upon that I have, just mediocre talent, though I am actually innovative in many techniques, so I have good reason to find Risto offensive. I don't play the game. And I don't fit the stereo types. You need stereo types when you don't want to know people.

There is no point in saying that anyone who doesn't know anything about art would like my stuff. That is offensive. What's the point when he is a moderator if he doesn't abide by his own rules? "Do as I say, not as I do". How about lead by example. I don't buy that he doesn't know what he is saying, that he is an "accidentally" unbelievably sarcastic and condescending.

The texture I created out of the Magix emboss that ships as a bitmap editor with Xara Xtreme.

But then he could have learned that without being so offensive, insinuating that I am defrauding people.

You are not supposed to change topic or be a troll on someone's thread. But the rules don't apply to Risto.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    I was here 8 years with what he has insisted upon that I have, just mediocre talent, though I am actually innovative in many techniques, so I have good reason to find Risto offensive.
    I won't bother to reply to the other nonsense... However, I will copy in the post that you twisted. This is what I said, and this is from the moderator board thread "where Gary and people here at TG are sexists, and there's not enough female participation, you felt hounded and not appreciated because you hadn't been featured on the XaraXone at that point, etc. etc. etc.

From below thread:

It looks that way to me also. Sally, you obviously know what you are doing with your imagery, so why not simply enjoy your accomplishment? Look at all the other good things that happen here, as great and unexpected bonuses? The "bad/negative/confusing/misunderstood" can simply be ignored if you choose to do so.
    This is not a put-down... I'm merely asking why other people's opinions about your art should matter as you know what you are doing? Why not simply ignore the things you don't agree with it, if you feel comfortable with what you are creating. Why do you (or anyone) need the XaraXone as validation?

The full post:

Edited --- Copied the whole thread from the moderator forum. (See next post).
    Last edited by RTK; 19 August 2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Copied in thread instead
    IP

Actually,

I'll make it even easier. I will copy the whole thread from the moderator forum in to the off-topic forum, so people can read the whole thing themselves.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=25932

Sally,

If you have anything further, PM me.

Risto
    IP