Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Inkscape with Wacom Graphire4

Decided to have a try with Inkscape so dl'd the latest build.
    Not as slick as Xara, but looks promising. One thing though - my Wacom Graphire4 just seizes up when I use it with IS. Works outside the IS window (on the desktop) and fine with other all other installed drawing apps - just plays silly with IS. Looked in prefs and the WACOM is listed in Input Devices etc.. Sometimes works for a few moments then just seizes up. Even put the latest drivers on (using Vista Ult). Anyone else experiencing tablet probs with Inkscape?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 13 August 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: Inkscape with Wacom Graphire4

XP home - fully updated
    Inkscape 0.45.1
    Graphire 3 - latest drivers

No problems using the pen

The tablet mouse needs to be in pen mode - if I leave it in mouse mode it offsets on the screen - not a problem as I don't need to use it

The graphire 3 does not support tilt - but all the other functions seem ok - I use inkscape regularly for calligraphy work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hmm - maybe a Vista issue..

Will try IS/Wacom combo with XP next time I boot into it. (XP)

I have the same problem under Windows XP. Don't know, why the Inkscape guys aren't able to use the original Wacom settings together with the Wacom device driver (each Windows software is able to handle the Wacom tablett, but not Inkscape). I had this problem with old versions and also the current version of Inkscpae. Replacing the Wacom device driver didn't changed this for me.

Remi

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but there's a Portable version of Inkscape available which let's you take the app wherever you go and run it directly from a USB Flash drive (no installation on the host PC required).

I see more and more of these portable apps cropping up this year and I'm actually a thrilled fan of them

Portable Inkscape download:
    http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/9eae...ision2.paf.exe

More portable Apps at:
    http://portableapps.com/

Now - Portable Xara Xtreme Pro please....

WACOM Update:
    Though much better in XPPro than Vista Ult - the Wacom Graphire4 pen occassionally seizes up while freehand drawing in IS. Probably 80% usable, but that 20% would soon damage my calm with it's serious workflow interuptions
    Still - it's a free program and now with this portable version on my USB drive, very handy...
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 13 August 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: update

You could try setting your tablet to "mouse mode" rather than "pen mode" and see if it behaves itself. Also check if there is a newer driver from Wacom which addresses the issue. They update drivers frequently, so checking about once a month is good.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

I had the freezing problem as well... Here is what I posted to the inkscape bug tracker:

Solution: Download the 4.97-6 driver (http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/...1&product=CTE4)
    Uninstall newer tablet driver.
    Install normally in Windows XP.

For Vista, you will have to disable UAC temporarily. Go to -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control On or Off -> Then uncheck the box. No need to restart. Try to install. It will say "Platform not supported". When you close the dialog a Windows Dialog will pop up and say something about correct settings (maybe it turns XP compatibility on?). Click "Retry install". It should work now.

-Sam