Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Making a chat page?

The only way I can see this effectively done is with quite a bit of server side scripting. How good are you at logic, and picking up languages... as in programming languages. (If you have any programming background picking up a new language isn't too hard) I would look into one of many server side languages. The most popular are PERL and PHP on linux machines and on windows based machines there are other languages. I prefer writing in PERL or PHP for security reasons.

You can Download many free scripts, but watch when and how you use them. There might be plenty of backdoors/holes written into these scripts... There is a reason most of them are free...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Rather than doing it the hard way, look at phpbb2 and the like. The big drawback with forum software of any variety is the spamming you get - spam registrations and spam posts - so it requires a lot of management.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Following up on the suggestions of phpBB (bulletin boards) etc.

An easy way for people to communicate and track and search each other's comments could perhaps also be achieved with WordPress?

Ask all your bridge playing friends to register with your blog, and make them in to contributors.

Might not be exactly what you are after, but as a tool managing a lot of people and information, it could be quite effective. Most importantly, you can have it set-up in a matter of minutes.

Risto

Yup, adding a bb is rather painless... all it takes is a host which will support such fun things

When it come to bb's, there is an amount of redundancy that should be looked after at the beginning... things like setting up the home or forum button to go right to a board page full of threads, as in apposed to going to a forum page full of empty boards... as you build you may expand out to more boards and those durn extra clicks