Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Generating Vector Graphic Web Images

I want to take text, equations and graphs from a Word document and create vector graphics for a website I am creating. I have just downloaded the trial version of Xara Xtreme but can't figure out how to do this. Each of the images I need to generate will be quite small. These images will then be assembled on my web page using HTML.

I would like to use vector graphics rather than png or jpg files because I want to permit expanding the images when the user moves their mouse over an image. I thought this would be straight forward but so far I can't generate anything that I can view in a browser.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this.

Thank you
    Alan

Default Re: Generating Vector Graphic Web Images

Hello Alan,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Web browsers have the ability to show png, jpg, gif images but cannot show vector graphics unless a specific plug-in is installed.

Flash can show vector graphics but is limited to the types of transparency it supports. You can have the Flash image zoom in by a mouse over or the person can right click and select to zoom in or back out. I don't recall if the Flash (.swf) files created by Xara Xtreme Pro can detect mouse over or not.

One of our more Flash knowledgable members will be able to tell us.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by alanj View Post
    I want to take text, equations and graphs from a Word document and create vector graphics for a website I am creating. I have just downloaded the trial version of Xara Xtreme but can't figure out how to do this. Each of the images I need to generate will be quite small. These images will then be assembled on my web page using HTML.

I would like to use vector graphics rather than png or jpg files because I want to permit expanding the images when the user moves their mouse over an image. I thought this would be straight forward but so far I can't generate anything that I can view in a browser.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this.

Thank you
    Alan
    Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML specification and file format for describing two-dimensional vector graphics, both static and animated.
    Many browsers support SVG natively now, with a few requiring a plugin be installed. Xara can now export your drawing to SVG, so this may be what you are seeking?
    I believe Inkscape also works with SVG very well.

Read more about SVG here:

http://wiki.svg.org/Main_Page

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

This link shows the Australian flag as an SVG image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F..._Australia.svg

for text set in XARA:

select text

select ARRANGE/UNGROUP
    then do it again.

you will have all the letters separate and editable as vector graphics.

to retain formatting and precision of content from one doc to XARA, export as PDF and import into Xara

OR

take a screen shot and trace in Xara, though POTRACE (available as a standalone or as part of InkScape) might do a better job.

as Sledger suggests, if you REALLY want to use vector, export as SVG (from InkScape... Xara does not support SVG, but you can export as EPS and import in to InkScape, a freebie).

geo.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBen View Post
    f
    as Sledger suggests, if you REALLY want to use vector, export as SVG (from InkScape... Xara does not support SVG, but you can export as EPS and import in to InkScape, a freebie).
    GeoBen may be using an older version of Xara which was before SVG support was added.
    If you have just downloaded the trial (version 3.2.3) you will see the file type .svg in the export dialogue.

SVG saved by Xara will include the Generator statement in the file as shown below.

<!-- Generator: Xara Xtreme (www.xara.com), SVG filter version: 0.4 -->

See zip file for a sample created in Xara 3.2.3 trial.
    (I just noticed that in my haste I misspelled Xtreme in the svg file typing 'Extreme' by habit - oops)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 August 2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Really! Great!

of course, i can't afford to get a new version, but I will before too much longer and that is reason enough to upgrade.

thanks,
    geo.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

for text set in XARA:

select text

select ARRANGE/UNGROUP
    then do it again.

you will have all the letters separate and editable as vector graphics.

to retain formatting and precision of content from one doc to XARA, export as PDF and import into Xara
    GeoBen,

I think you missed out the Select Text / Arrange / Convert to editable shapes bit before the Arrange / Ungroup bit.

XXP can also import RTF files now like Word documents.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host