Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Coral Painter and Graphics tablet...

Hey everybody, I am new to this forum and also new to digital painting! I bought myself a nice little Wacom Volito 2 (nice and cheap to see how I really like it before buying something better) and have had trouble understanding how to use pressure sensitivity in Painter... I did a wee search and tried to find some information but you try sifting through all the results that come up when you type in "graphics tablet" haha!

All I really need are some pointers and I think I could work out the rest from there... but I really don't even have a clue where to start! The help files in Painter are not much use either.

Thanks in advance

David
    IP

Default Re: Coral Painter and Graphics tablet...

Hi David,

I’m relatively new to all of this as well and only posted my first thread yesterday> have you tried brush tracking yet? This may help adjust the pen to the way you handle it on the tablet and how much pressure you apply. In the tool bar go to Corel Painter > Preferences>Brush Tracking. This will ask you to draw and will work out the correct sensitivity for you, or a least I think it should.

Anyway, everyone on here has been great with my questions and I’m sure a pro will get back to you soon.

Good luck with it.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pete_traynor View Post
    Hi David,

I’m relatively new to all of this as well and only posted my first thread yesterday> have you tried brush tracking yet? This may help adjust the pen to the way you handle it on the tablet and how much pressure you apply. In the tool bar go to Corel Painter > Preferences>Brush Tracking. This will ask you to draw and will work out the correct sensitivity for you, or a least I think it should.

Anyway, everyone on here has been great with my questions and I’m sure a pro will get back to you soon.

Good luck with it.
    Also, there should be a Wacom dialog to adjust parameters on the tablet. On windows its in the Control Panel.

To adjust the pressure sensitivity, click on the pen and adjust the Tip Feel slider on the left middle of the page.

I know the Wacom Graphire and Intuos both have this control panel, I'm assuming other models do as well.
    IP

Hi,

In addition to what others have suggested:

Painter's brush variants are made up of a large number of brush controls that you'll see in the Brush Controls palettes. To open the Brush Controls palettes, use Window > Brush Controls > Show General. That will open all of the Brush Controls palettes docked as a group.

In many of the Brush Controls palettes you'll see one or more Expression drop down lists where you can choose to express the particular brush variant characteristic with one of several options, Pressure being one of those options.

For example:

In the Brush Controls' General palette, we can choose to express Opacity and/or Grain with Pressure.

In the Size palette, we can choose to express Size and/or Feature with Pressure.

In the Angle palette, we can choose to express Angle with Pressure.

Those are examples from only three of the Brush Controls palettes and there are several more that contain Expression drop down lists of options.

Expression drop down lists of options are found in the following Brush Controls palettes:

General
    Size
    Angle
    Well
    Random
    Impasto
    Airbrush
    Liquid Ink
    Color Expression

Expression options are:

None
    Velocity
    Direction
    Pressure
    Wheel
    Tilt
    Bearing
    Rotation - (Can only be used in Painter IX, IX 9.1, and IX.5 and Painter X and X.1 in combination with a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet and 6D Art Pen.)
    Source
    Random

You'll find lots of information in Help Topics on the subject of Brush Controls:

Painter X Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes > Managing Settings and Controls

Have fun!

Jin
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 10 August 2007 at 11:45 AM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP