Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Action Shots

Default Action Shots

Hi, mI have just taken up Digital Imaging and Photography, ie two days ago and taken a few still photos which I am please about, however I am really struggling with action shots. I have a Fuji Finepix 6500 and have it set to sport, then multiple frames per second (3 per second) and continuous. But i still seem to be missing parts of my subject, see below and only ended up with two mediocre pictures

ANy tips on how to improve the quality of the photos and tips on how to capture the whole object ?
    IP

Default Re: Action Shots

Lead the subject slightly. For instance, in your last shot, it looks like you framed the horse, then took your shot. In the half second it took for you to press the shutter release, the horse moved out of shot.

The camera will also takes a few moments to autoexposure and auto focus. So, try pressing the shutter release half way while framing the shot. The camera will then be able to adjust itself when you actually do snap the shot.

If the lighting is not great, the exposure (the time the shutter is actually open) will be longer. If the action is fast enough, the subject will move during the exposure and the shot will be blurred.

Also, read the manual for your camera. You can luck out and get a good picture in the automatic modes. Most of the time, tho one just gets snapshots. In manual mode, you can set the camera to do what you want, and get a much higher percentage of photographs.

Welcome to talkgraphics babypink...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

My impression of 3 frames per second was the the camera uses the first focus for all next shots. It will take priority for exposure time and let the aperature float. Your first shot was at F4.2.

It takes time for the camera to autofocus.

What are you trying to get as an action shot? My guess of 3 frames per second would be a subject staying at the same focal distance, and changing shape.

Continuous usually means the camera is following the subject and maintaining it in focus.

Maybe Time mode would be better since the legs were slightly blurred meaning the time was a little long.

It appeared the camera was shooting a little bright, and maybe reducing the exposure value would keep the aperature smaller wtih a shorter time. Maybe -.3 to -.6. The image would be darker, but not so dark that it couldn't be recovered when editing.

Rich
    IP

Photography not my thing - but horses are - I like
    Last edited by handrawn; 05 August 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

By the looks of my photography, it ain't my thing either
    IP

Don't worry Babypink. Taking good pics is like driving... It takes a wittle practice. A little luck is also very helpful.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Yes I agree with raynerj1, just keep trying in the end you get your desire photo
    IP

Pretty horse. I agree with the others that practice always helps.
    IP