Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default All works well on PC Linux 2007

Well, I know the designers want as much info as they can get on any / every distro so, Who do I let know that everything works perfectly on PC Linux OS 2007!!!!
    I used Xara all day, on 3 different desktops at the same time, dragin' n' dropin' from folders and files, and really pushed the program to it's max..... and never had a single problem or freeze, etc..... all worked perfectly and smoothly
    and all that on only a pentium 3 @ 1000 MHz with 512 Mb ram and 810 chipset video
    IP

Default Re: All works well on PC Linux 2007

Really nice to know! I'm running PC Linux 2007 on my desktop computer, is Xara in the main repositories? I've been traveling the last three weeks and haven't had time to check since I've been back. Was thinking about trying another distro, but if Xara's now available, I'll scrap that idea.
    thanks,
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

Thumbs up Re: All works well on PC Linux 2007

I use SUSE10.2 and everything seems to be working for me!
    I had never used Xara before thou... so I don't really know how "to push it to the max". I have just one problem thou: I cannot export to SVG and I get the following error (a bug perhabs?):

Error from Xara Xtreme
    Plugin filter reported an error but didn't provide a message

does that export function work for you?

I was able to export to other formats (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) without any errors, but since I don't have these programs I can't really test the files that I have exported.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Really nice to know! I'm running PC Linux 2007 on my desktop computer, is Xara in the main repositories? I've been traveling the last three weeks and haven't had time to check since I've been back. Was thinking about trying another distro, but if Xara's now available, I'll scrap that idea.
    thanks,
    Scott
    Not in the repositories, so go here...

http://www.xaraxtreme.org/faqs.html

There is also a forum for support, etc.!!!!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gorbehnare View Post
    I use SUSE10.2 and everything seems to be working for me!
    I had never used Xara before thou... so I don't really know how "to push it to the max". I have just one problem thou: I cannot export to SVG and I get the following error (a bug perhabs?):

does that export function work for you?

I was able to export to other formats (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) without any errors, but since I don't have these programs I can't really test the files that I have exported.
    you need to select "type of file" and destination folder when exporting
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gorbehnare View Post
    I have just one problem thou: I cannot export to SVG and I get the following error (a bug perhabs?):
    I've seen (and had) this problem in the past when trying to export SVG. If I'm remembering correctly, the problem is that xara can't find the xarasvgfilter executable properly, and then gives you the (potentially bogus) error saying that it returned an error.

In my case, this was caused by using the autopackage tool to install xaralx. I ran the tool as myself and not root, so instead of installing under /usr, it installs in $HOME/.local/ instead. When this happens, your .bashrc (or whatever you're using) is automatically updated to have a line at the end that adds $HOME/.local/ to your path.

The problem with this is that your .bashrc (or whatever) is only read when you initially log in, or when you open a new terminal. Your X window manager inherits the path that was in place at the time you started it, and doesn't update unless you restart it.

So if you run the autopackage installer to install xaralx as yourself and not root, and then use the icon that it makes for you to start xaralx, it uses the path that doesn't include where xaralx is stored, and xara works otherwise but the SVG export fails. If you restart your window manager, or start xara from a terminal that has the correct path, this error should be resolved.

A couple of notes on this, however:
    1. I think this actually *is* a bug, because the code is supposed to look in the path that the xara executable is being stored in, but this doesn't seem to work if it's not installed under /usr (unless this has been fixed since I had this problem).
    2. I'm not entirely sure that SVG export actually works, so it may be moot. I've imported SVG before, but trying to export a simple SVG of a rectangle and then importing that doesn't work. I don't have anything else that might import an SVG, so I don't know if it's failing to export proper SVG or what.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Works on ArchLinux also without any problems. Installed from tarballs on www.xaralx.org into ~/bin. Also think xara is in the repositories but I havent tried it.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Works on ArchLinux also without any problems. Installed from tarballs on www.xaralx.org into ~/bin. Also think xara is in the repositories but I havent tried it.
    I don't beleive it is in the repositories yet, (it's still in the works) Same for Compoz-Fusion........ "sigh".................
    Now, my new Genius 8x6 MousePen tablet doesn't work with PC Linux.. another bummer... but, PC Linux 2007 is stil the best (Fedora core 7 is my second fav...... Havent tried Xara on Fedora yet, but Compiz Fusion is already in their repositories.....
    IP