Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: First Steps

Default First Steps

Hello. Sorry if this topic has come up before but I have recently acquired a copy of CorelDraw X3 and without any grounding in this programme I was wondering if anyone knows if any decent training/instruction books are available. The latest one I can find on the net is for the last edition... is this still relevant and useful for X3?

My Dad got a copy of it through work. He came home, dumped it on my lap and said 'learn how to use this for me.' Thanks I said. All he needs to use it for is drawing basic road layouts. Either way, once I've got that sorted I'd still like to press ahead and learn more about the programme.

Cheers.

gary.
    IP

Default Re: First Steps

Hi Gary,

You should checkout http://www.unleash.com, they have an ebook “CorelDRAW X3 Unleashed”. I have the DVD version of the book. Even if you don’t want the book, you should checkout all the free tutorials on their site. You could also do a web search for free CorelDraw tutorials. There are a lot of them out there. Many of them are in video format and you can learn a lot in a short time by watching them.

You can pick up an older version book and still learn the fundamentals. They have not changed that much. Just don’t get too hooked on having the menus be just the same.

Your best bet is to learn to play with the program, make some basic shapes and change them using the menus. Learn to edit nodes, weld shapes together, trim one shape with another, and use the blend tool to blend one shape and color into different shape and color.

CorelDraw is a very complex program with many levels and you don’t have to be proficient at all of them to be creative and productive with it. You can spend years learning CorelDraw and still not know all there is to know about using it. Have some fun with it, it’s the best way to learn.
    Aunt Betsy
    IP