Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Change size of added image?

Does anyone know how (if) an image that is added to a painting can be resized?

Eg. I was working on a Painter X "painting" of a landscape. In Photoshop, I had several trees saved in one file, each on it's own layer. I opened the photoshop file with Painter, selected a tree layer, and was pleased that I could drag it into the new painting. Perfect!

But now I can't see how to resize the tree to fit. Looked all over the help menu. In photoshop, I would select the tree, then edit - transform - size.

Anyone know how to do this from within Painter X?
    Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Change size of added image?

I have Painter 9, should be the same. Right click on the layer and choose set or free transform.
    IP

Thanks Mike for the thought, but not there...

I'm using a MacBook Pro so I had to find the 2 button mouse that came with the Wacom tablet. Right click only gives me:
    Layer Attributes,
    Duplicate,
    Delete, and
    Select Layer Transparency

A couple more options are greyed out, but none takes me to an area like you describe. You've given me a clue though that it's probably hidden in the layers menus somewhere.
    Cheers,
    Barry
    IP

Mike-
    Plugging your words "free transform" into the help menu got me what I needed.

With Painter X, you have to go to Effects - Orientation - then select "scale" (one of several options hidden there)
    Next time is a bit easier as the scale option moves up the menu so is offered directly under Effects - Scale

Thanks for the help! Barry
    IP

Plugging your words "free transform" into the help menu got me what I needed.
    Cool, glad you found it.

Next time is a bit easier as the scale option moves up the menu so is offered directly under Effects - Scale
    Why don't you assign it to a shortcut key?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    I have Painter 9, should be the same. Right click on the layer and choose set or free transform.
    Barry,

After re-reading Mike's post quoted above, read my comments below the quote of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry T View Post
    Thanks Mike for the thought, but not there...

I'm using a MacBook Pro so I had to find the 2 button mouse that came with the Wacom tablet. Right click only gives me:
    Layer Attributes,
    Duplicate,
    Delete, and
    Select Layer Transparency

A couple more options are greyed out, but none takes me to an area like you describe. You've given me a clue though that it's probably hidden in the layers menus somewhere.
    Cheers,
    Barry
    It's actually "there" but you need to understand what tool needs to be active and where to click.

To access the contextual menu that contains the Free Transform command, so you can transform a Layer:

1. Activate the Layer Adjuster tool.

2. In the Layers palette, highlight the Layer you want to transform.

3. In the image, right-click and choose Free Transform from the contextual menu.

Or...

If you prefer to use a keyboard shortcut, the default keyboard shortcut for the Effects > Orientation > Free Transform command is:
    • Mac - Command+Option+T
    • Windows - Ctrl+Alt+T

Or...

In Painter IX > Preferences > Customize Keys (Mac) or Edit > Preferences > Customize Keys (Windows) you can change that keyboard shortcut to whatever you want (as long as what you want isn't already being used for another menu command).

Or...

You can add the Free Transform command button to a Custom Palette:

1. Use Window > Custom Palettes > Add Command.

2. In the Add Command dialog box, accept New or choose the name of an existing Custom Palette from the Add to: drop down list.

3. With the Add Command dialog box still open, go to Effects > Orientation and click the Free Transform command in the flyout menu.

4. Click the OK button to close the Add Command dialog box. Now you have the Free Transform command button in your Custom Palette and all you need to do is click that button to activate Free Transform.

Happy Layer Transforming!

Jin
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thanks Jinny for the step by step. That works!

Barry
    IP

You're welcome, Barry.

Thanks for letting me know it works for you.

Jin
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP