Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What PC to buy?

Post Re: What PC to buy?

This thread is really useful to me ! I want to buy a new pc (not a Mac, although I prefer that, because of all my pc software) and I can't see the trees in the forest anymore, so to speak So thanks for all the advise, especially Sledger and raynerj1
    Last edited by MarciaB; 03 August 2007 at 08:23 AM.
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Default Re: What PC to buy?

I would not suggest the top of the line... You pay too much. Last years top of the line is much cheaper and will keep you happy for many years.

Oh... the best investment I have made... Partition Magic from Symantic. Lets me partion the drives where and how I want. I have a partion just for Windoze and another for a disc image of windoze (You know when they always ask you to install the disk crap). My Programs are on another partition, and all my data is in a another partition. My computers have been worry free since setting em up.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Advice by example?

If asked today to create a PC quote for a Xara user on a AUD$1500 (£630 / €932) budget, it might look like this:
    THERMALTAKE MATRIX MIDI TOWER CASE (inc 430W PSU)
    LITEON LH-20A1H 20x LIGHTSCRIBE DVDRW (BLACK/WHT)
    AMD A64 X2 5200+ DUAL CORE (SKT AM2)
    ASUS M2A-VM-HDMI AIO AM2 MATX M/B (HDMI) Integrated ATI Radeon X1250
    http://members.westnet.com.au/ledger..._HDMI_back.jpg
    also 2x USB on the front of the case
    GEIL 2GB DDR2-6400 800 DUAL KIT
    2x SEAGATE 320GB SATA2 16MB-AS
    CMV 221D 22 INCH WIDE LCD MONITOR (DVI, 5ms,Silver Black)
    LOGITECH CORDLESS (OEM) RECHARGABLE DESKTOP BUNDLE*
    LOGITECH X530 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM.
    WindowsXP Pro OEM version (Geniune CD Supplied)
    My Retail: AUD$1,494.75 inc GST
    *I know some people dislike wireless mice because they worry the batteries may run down at the most inappropriate moment. While this is true, the Logitech model I select has the recharger dock that keeps the battery topped up when the mouse is not in use. You simply pop the mouse into the dock like you would with your cordless phone. I've personally used the (older) MX700 for three years now and wouldn't be without a wireless mouse ever again.

Although this system is Vista Certified, I'd stick with XP for the moment.
    The mainboard includes an integrated Radeon X1250 display with the ability to output both HDMI and DVI at the same time.
    Of course the board has a PCIe slot for future upgrade if required.

In all, this system would run very well and should last for years before an upgrade is considered. Adding more RAM can be done at anytime, but 2GB is an excellent base.

I've purposly left out a Digitizer Tablet as not everyone can work with or justify owning them. However the Wacom Graphire4 is good value and works fine even with the wide-screen monitor.

I normally offer the option of an internal multi-card reader which most people accept and only adds AUD$19 to the overall cost.
    Floppy Disk Drives are only included on request now days.

If a UPS is not already in place with a current System, then I strongly suggest that thought be given to buying at least a 700VA model.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 August 2007 at 11:40 PM.

looks good

no way would I be without a wireless mouse or keyboard either - my logitech warns when the batteries are running low and I have a second set charged up ready to go - prefer this to charging dock method

second the recommendation on UPS
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice system there sledger... I would leave the floppy out and just take the old one from my exisiting system. The same would be true with the OS, if she has a OEM XP CD. If the motherboard has IDE busses, might as well rape the harddrive from the old system also.

I would use the SATA as the C:/ drive tho... Also get a 500 GB at least. You will fill it up before the system starts to act up.

didn't look too close, does that motherboard have firewire input? If not, grab a model that has it. You can't mess with video without firewire. That might have changed tho... video is the latest and greatest thing and Video camera makers are finally saying goodbye to VHS...
    Last edited by Soquili; 09 August 2007 at 12:00 PM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Nice system there sledger... I would leave the floppy out and just rape the old one from my exisiting system. The same would be true with the OS, if she has a OEM XP CD. If the motherboard has IDE busses, might as well rape the harddrive from the old system also.
    I'm not quite sure what anyone would put on a 1.4MB floppy diskette?
    USB flash drives are cheap as chips now ['scuse pun] and a darn site more reliable than those horrid little disks. As I say, FDD's are purely by request and not fitted as standard any longer.

OEM licenses are not transferable to new hardware, this is different from Retail versions which are.

Yes the MB has one IDE interface (one is now standard, where it used to be two) useful as you say for fitting older drives, but in this quote - used for the IDE DVD burner (SATA interface burners are now around, but why waste a SATA port?) though you can still throw in your old drive as a slave on the IDE.

I would use the SATA as the C:/ drive tho... Also get a 500 GB at least. You will fill it up before the system starts to act up.
    Notice that I included TWO drives 320GB each
    Two drives are better than one, as it's unlikely that two drives will die together. One large drive, even if partitioned, is like having all your eggs in one basket. It dies - you loose the lot.

..didn't look too close, does that motherboard have firewire input? If not, grab a model that has it. You can't mess with video without firewire. That might have changed tho... video is the latest and greatest thing and Video camera makers are finally saying goodbye to VHS...
    As you can see from the image of the rear IO ports, firewire is indeed available on this m/board. However DV is becoming more common than firewire I've noticed, and a good many video cams use mini USB.
    Image again here for convenience:
    http://members.westnet.com.au/ledger..._HDMI_back.jpg
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 04 August 2007 at 07:24 AM.

Hey sledger...

Here is a quick question for you... When was the last time you had a drive fail before you knew it was time to upgrade your system? I have filled many drives and had to replace em cause dey was too small. I have had more problems with PWR supplies, Motherboards, processors than I have had with HDs. I still wouldn't want to run the same system for 10 years tho...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

I tend to agree about having two drives just in case.

And imaging software - I use Acronis True Image.
    I would not sleep at night without an up to date image of my system.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Hey sledger...

Here is a quick question for you... When was the last time you had a drive fail before you knew it was time to upgrade your system? I have filled many drives and had to replace em cause dey was too small. I have had more problems with PWR supplies, Motherboards, processors than I have had with HDs. I still wouldn't want to run the same system for 10 years tho...
    In my game I see failed hard disc drives regularly, infact more so now than in previous years. Sadly a lot of failed drives are occuring with budget PC's that often encorporate a 'recovery' partition (and therefore are not supplied with an OS on CD). Budget PC's are cheaper for a reason.

Recently more Laptops have been coming to me with failed HDD's which is a real concern for those who bring their laptops on holidays and photo shoots in order to download pics from their cameras (and free up card space).
    Of course, once repaired, these customers often go away with an external 2.5" HDD in an aluminiun enclosure as backup (these need no external power).
    You would be amazed how many PC owners do not backup important files to CD or DVD inspite of all PC's now having burners fitted. It always suprises me how many still don't understand how to use a burner, and I've even come across people who do *backup* to CD then delete them off their hard drive (to free up space). Of course, doing this means they no longer have a *backup* - their CD then contains the only copies.

Newer (increasingly larger) Hard Drives are failing more regularly than older drives due to altered manufacturing processes driven by highly competitive manufacturers wanting market share, consumers demanding lower prices and the shear volume of drives now out there. If you wanted a HDD to last for 10 years and be 100% reliable it can in theory be manufacturerd, but would cost thousands of dollars to produce. I get some customers balking at AUD$119 for a 320GB hdd!! <shakes head>

Seagates philosophy is that their drives are 'good enough' for the price, and for the most part this is true, plus their warranty of 3 - 5 years is ample coverage for it's expected lifetime. However, inspite of warranty - if a 500GB drive fails, you've still lost all your eggs.

The way I see it, if you had just one large HDD which you were quickly filling up and therefore needed to 'upgrade' to a larger drive, then you'd likey be 'adding' the large drive and not replacing the full one because you'd want to keep the data that was filling it up. If you didn't, then you'd delete it which would free up space and therefore you would no longer require a larger drive.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 04 August 2007 at 11:08 PM.

if you do any Video editing, you would want a bigger HD. I have 500GB on my machine and can only edit one maybe two movies at a time... AVIs are huge mothas...

the next time I upgrade, I will be putting at least a terabyte in my machines. At least 2 500GB drives. maybe more...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook