Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What PC to buy?

Default Re: What PC to buy?

mostly what Sledger said. all good advice. and if building your own scares you, chill. it really is not difficult at all. The 'net has many places to help.

as much mem as possible. a tower case for expansion.

and 2 power supplies. keep one in the cupboard.

I expect to be building a new one too, soon.

geo.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

The computer is a method of running the operating system which runs your programs. If your operating system allows you to run more programs, it is a great convenience.

I have both MAC and PC programs and run them on my MAC Pro as I have Parallels Desktop. I find, however I am using Windows less (Windows XP didn't upgrade to Vista) and MAC more.

MAC comes with programs which are actually useful, and you can get the new iWork and iLife for around $80.00 each. The hardware costs more but lasts longer. Not all programs are more expensive. In fact, I've been having a ball with a $25.00 program. BTW, does run under Windows too. That is ArtRage, and like Xara, it can be unstable though incredibly intuitive and productive, you just have to save, save, save.

Who cares if it makes sense to anyone else, get the computer which will do the job for you. I have to work with both platforms so the MAC made sense for my line of work. MAC will run Windows, Linux too. A PC running MAC???? Not likely going to happen anytime soon. You might get the OS to load, and it is nice to look at the desktop.

The next hurdle is running software which is 64-bit rather than 32-bit.

A building is as stable as its foundations, Windows still sits on top of DOS. Why? It's like a deck of card, how high can you go building with cards?
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    A building is as stable as its foundations, Windows still sits on top of DOS. Why? It's like a deck of card, how high can you go building with cards?
    Windows has not sat on top of DOS since Windows 98 and Windows ME. Businesses have used Windows NT since 1994 and most PCs since 2001 have been shipped with Windows XP - neither are based on DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Windows has not sat on top of DOS since Windows 98 and Windows ME. Businesses have used Windows NT since 1994 and most PCs since 2001 have been shipped with Windows XP - neither are based on DOS.
    Technically & in fairness to Sally, XP is a DOS (Disc Operating System)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    DOS (Disc Operating System)
    ROTFL...

Talk about self proclaimed experts...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    ROTFL...

Talk about self proclaimed experts...
    Not being too sure in what context you mean't that remark to be taken, I'll just follow it with more humour to get you rolling about by defining an 'Expert'

Ex = something that was
    Spert = A drip under pressure

I realise the spelling is questionable, but humour allows for this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not being too sure in what context you mean't that remark to be taken, I'll just follow it with more humour to get you rolling about by defining an 'Expert'

Ex = something that was
    Spert = A drip under pressure

I realise the spelling is questionable, but humour allows for this.
    Sledger: your definition of "Ex Spert" works for me... I'm also curious as to what John meant with his remark?

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    ... I'm also curious as to what John meant with his remark?
    Maybe he's thinking that the OS doesn't technically 'operate' the disks, and that it is more of the responsibility of the BIOS. Wiki states that DOS is standardly referred to in that capacity, though.

Daniel was getting "technical" about XP, Vista not using DOS... Sledger corrected him by saying that DOS stands for "Disk Operating System". The correction of the corrector made me ROTFL.

The intent of Daniel's statement was correct Microsoft quit using MS-DOS in everything newer than 2000. Using the more general term DOS was the error. Every computer that accesses a hard drive uses a DOS.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Personally I will never buy an Apple!
    Have you ever seen someone with a PC run Parallels?
    No with good reason PC software is better!
    And to go on about Apple - I've always believed they would have
    gone out of business if they didn't make it so easy to rip off the music industry with their Ipod