Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Subtle shadows with grouped brightness transparency

There has been much gnashing of teeth, and cursing trying to figure out quasi-photorealistic effects for the past week, but finally had a breakthrough, so another thing to post, as I haven't seen it in searches.

I was trying to get more realistic shadow effects, and just applying mix transparencies to objects and laying objects on top of each other resulted in darker shadows than desired, as well as the blend regions on them interacting in odd ways.

After much study, I found that a viable solution was grouped brightness transparencies. You can draw your shadows in shades of black (from 50% white to pure black), and then group everything, and apply brightness transparency, and viola! you have a complex shadow just the way you want it. It may take some playing around with the shades of black to get the exact shadow you want, but at least it works. After that, apply your white highlights, and everything comes out good.

Hope this helps someone else. For something so simple, it took a lot of time to figure out. The following example doesn't do it justice, but gives the idea. On another positive side, everything remains vector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digital Bob.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	40196  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Subtle shadows with grouped brightness transparency

Thanks for posting that David - looks interesting I shall have a play
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here is a better example. Everything is done with shading.

Name:	BetterExample.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	40270  

Very nice and creative solution, David.

I usually create a shadow shape, apply some feathering, and a linear stained glass transparency. The great thing about Xara is there are always many ways to accomplish the same thing.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Very nice and creative solution, David.
    Thank you.

I usually create a shadow shape, apply some feathering, and a linear stained glass transparency.
    That doesn't give the same results when you are building up a complex shadow, unless I am missing something.

The great thing about Xara is there are always many ways to accomplish the same thing.
    Because of the problem I highlighted with the stained glass transparency, I am still unaware of another solution to this problem other than the one I have come up with. If you have another viable solution, I'd love to hear it. But so far, no, there is no other. I actually spent about four weeks attacking the problem and gnashing my teeth because of the limitations of the other methods I tried.

Best wishes,
    David

Name:	TempPng.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	40277  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 30 July 2007 at 12:06 AM.