Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: **Call For NEW BRUSHES**

I have written this reply twice and I am not sure if this time I have got it right the third time. My big dislike of any version of Xara its it's brushes, now I call myself a fairly experience user and I still struggle with brushes. I would love brushes that do the same as Illy's brushes do, you pick the style, pick the colour and the job is done. Now what do we get when we try to pick a certain style of brush were are stuck with the colour or we have to jump through hoops to change it, why not go the way of Illy and leave the bitmapped way and make it vector? I know Chris has done a huge amount trying to get us us to a better understanding of brushes but is that enough, he has produced a comprehensive array of brushes and shown us how to use them but I still think this area is one of the weakest in the whole programme and I find it hard to support this thread. I would love to see an expansion in this area and have the programme that will allow most any type and age of computer to allow brushes to be used without slowing or crashing the computer.

I like many user her like to scan in my pencil or ink drawings in with the ability at the end to get the flow and the appeal of my line drawing on paper onto the screen but that is hard at the moment to replicate that affect and that is not including the Wacom users that use your software who must really be frustrated. I know it is not the time for more requests when a new version is out but this is an area where Xara looses out big time to other vector software. If anyone can tell me away to load a brush up, click on a line and weight, colour and the line color will be as specified I will be an extremely happy bunny but till then having the top spec in brushes will be not a waste of time, but limiting the user to the colour that the brush was developed in, or near enough. I am sorry to be a downer on an important topic like this!
    Last edited by Albacore; 27 July 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I have written this reply twice and I am not sure if this time I have got it right the third time. My big dislike of any version of Xara its it's brushes, now I call myself a fairly experience user and I still struggle with brushes. I would love brushes that do the same as Illy's brushes do, you pick the style, pick the colour and the job is done. Now what do we get when we try to pick a certain style of brush were are stuck with the colour or we have to jump through hoops to change it, why not go the way of Illy and leave the bitmapped way and make it vector? I know Chris has done a huge amount trying to get us us to a better understanding of brushes but is that enough, he has produced a comprehensive array of brushes and shown us how to use them but I still think this area is one of the weakest in the whole programme and I find it hard to support this thread. I would love to see an expansion in this area and have the programme that will allow most any type and age of computer to allow brushes to be used without slowing or crashing the computer.

I like many user her like to scan in my pencil or ink drawings in with the ability at the end to get the flow and the appeal of my line drawing on paper onto the screen but that is hard at the moment to replicate that affect and that is not including the Wacom users that use your software who must really be frustrated. I know it is not the time for more requests when a new version is out but this is an area where Xara looses out big time to other vector software. If anyone can tell me away to load a brush up, click on a line and weight, colour and the line color will be as specified I will be an extremely happy bunny but till then having the top spec in brushes will be not a waste of time, but limiting the user to the colour that the brush was developed in, or near enough. I am sorry to be a downer on an important topic like this!
    The brush engine in some other drawing programs is based on skeletal stroking. Namely, a vector object/group is mapped (stretched out) along a line stroke. Xara's brush engine uses a sequence of objects to generate the brush (some softwares do this too). As you say, it currently has a number of issues that prevent 'painting', namely, the famous can't change colour/change subtle shades/variations with each stroke; and because it's drawing many objects, even with caching, things can slow down. It's just not practical to paint at the moment. However, I remember reading somewhere that skeletal stroking is on the list of things to add. Even when it eventually arrives, to remain backwards compatible, the old brush engine must remain. I suspect in future, the current brush engine will be improved to make it practical to use, and skeletal stroking will be added. I'm guessing we'll see these things within one or two major updates to Xtreme - 1-3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    ...My big dislike of any version of Xara its it's brushes, now I call myself a fairly experience user and I still struggle with brushes...
    Seconded. Also, a brush that varied its width according to tablet pressure would be a *fantastic* addition.
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 28 July 2007 at 01:10 AM.

meanwhile we have E3 for skeletal brushes, which import into xara pro ok in pdf format

good news if xara is to get these idc.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Seconded. Also, a brush that varied its width according to tablet pressure would be a *fantastic* addition.
    Draw-direction according to pen angle technology is available too now, and used in some applications, would be good for the current engine.