Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default **Call For NEW BRUSHES**

Having recently revised my brush tutorial, I thought this would be a good opportunity to see if people wanted to create some new Xara brushes. If people wanted to design some new original brushes and post them to this thread, over the coming weeks, I will sift through them, and select the very best brushes, and create a "community collection" xar file containing them all.

Perhaps we could aim for 1st October 2007 as the date to make some by? I will also include the handful I have created already for what was going to become a sequel brush collection. To help inspire creativity, check out the brush collection I made a while ago and also check out the great Swap Shop brushes.

Categories to consider:
    Seasonal themes (Xmas, Easter, Halloween, Bonfire Night, July 4th, New year, other cultural holidays).
    Nature
    School
    Holiday
    Work
    Abstract
    etc...
    Last edited by Xhris; 27 July 2007 at 04:24 AM.

Default Re: **Call For NEW BRUSHES**

Visit also our great Brushes forum here at talkgraphics.com together with the amazing A-Z Index with a thumbnail for each brush, done by Christine.

Remi

It's a shame there isn't an indexed search function available in Xara to help select them, like there is for clipart.
    Last edited by Xhris; 27 July 2007 at 04:23 AM.

Xhris,

I found that brushes slow down Xtreme loading, so I would offer a word of caution to folks with older computers before putting 9Mbs of brushes into the './templates/brushes' folder.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Xhris,

I found that brushes slow down Xtreme loading, so I would offer a word of caution to folks with older computers before putting 9Mbs of brushes into the './templates/brushes' folder.
    True, large xar files can slow loading down by a few seconds. You might only want some brushes (alphabetised wonderfully in the Swap Shop). You could make a single xar file containing your favourites and put that in the /brushes folder.
    Last edited by Xhris; 27 July 2007 at 04:10 AM.

You do not have permission to post brushes created by me on your website - please remove them.

Christine

I found it slowed down the loading quite dramatically a few years back when brushes were first added. I don't know if they've improved it in later releases. I just keep my favourite brushes in a "brushes" folder and open that xar file when and only when I need it, copy the brush and paste it into the xar file I'm working on.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I found it slowed down the loading quite dramatically a few years back when brushes were first added. I don't know if they've improved it in later releases. I just keep my favourite brushes in a "brushes" folder and open that xar file when and only when I need it, copy the brush and paste it into the xar file I'm working on.
    I don't think it's been sped up; it's essentially loading a xar file at startup, and bigger files will always likely take a longer time to load. I'm not sure which are my favourites yet; there are so many good ones.
    Last edited by Xhris; 27 July 2007 at 04:28 AM.

Can't you just create a brush folder in the clipart gallery and drag and drop an object with the brush you want into your open doc?

It gets around the need to load large xar files, but for best results each brush has to be saved separately.

Hmm...having tested this, it does work, except I seem to be losing the colour of each brush?
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 27 July 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Xhris,

It does and as a fix I keep all the brushes in a seperate file and when there is something I need I just open the one I want at that time. It really cuts down that lag time.