Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: bitmap fillings settings away?

Try setting this registry entry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\Options\ Dragging\SmartDropBehaviour
    to 0

I haven't had time to test the effect of this but it looks like it should do the job.

Usual caveat: Only fiddle with the registry if you're confident you can do so without damaging your system.

Phil

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Phil, it works but only when you select a new fill from the Fill Gallery. If you apply a different fill from the Bitmap Gallery it reverts back to single tile, original size and orientation ??

I get the same results as Judi. Dragging from Windows Explorer reverts the fill to single tile, centered on the shape and rescaled to the shape's width.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'd like to add my voice to the ever-growing list of malcontents who dislike this new "improvement" in XXP 3.2, lauded as a reason for upgrading, when it
    patently is not.
    The more who add their discontent to this thread, the more chance of someone from Xara picking up on it and reverting to the previous way of doing things in the next release.
    It cannot be a difficult process to undo this retrograde step, surely.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Checking more registry entries I found another key. Combined with the change that Phil already posted the behaviour of bitmap fills appears to be the same as in older versions of Xara Xtreme and X.

Phil's post:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\Dragging\SmartDropBehaviour changed to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\Attributes\ForceGeometryFitShapeDrop change to 0.

Usual warning about editing the registry applies.

For those that would prefer not to personally edit the registry the attached .zip file contains a .reg file.

Unzip the .reg to a folder on your hard drive and then using Windows Explorer or My Computer you can double click the file's icon.

You will be asked if you want to add the information to the Registry.

Answer YES and the changes will be made for you.

Answer NO and the changes will not be made.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 11 September 2007 at 04:22 AM. Reason: added regedit warning note
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Here's another .zip file containing a .reg file that will reset the two settings to their originally installed values.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Now that is very kind of you Bill... Gary should post them on the shareware pages...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Yes, Bill, I think you've found the correct combination to return the program to the old behaviour. (Those two flags are ORed together - i.e. the "smart"/"noddy" behaviour will be used if either of them is set to 1.)

Note that if you have both flags set to 0 and you do still want a smart bitmap replacement then you just need to hold down Shift while you drop the bitmap.

Phil

Just thought I'd add my vote to returning the default behavior. Though I appreciate the need to attract new users with so called simplification it does tend to make professional users lives harder. I'm still not convinced that Xtreme pro is actually all that 'pro' when I keep running into stuff like this.

Maybe some sort of customization feature built in might fit the bill to avoid fiddling with the registry.- a check box for the 'early learning' version of Xtreme should you need it?

Perfect, thanks for the registry tweak pointers.

I'm all for making Xtreme easier to use for new users because I realise that being more welcoming can help shift more boxes, and more boxes means more development. I think it was an omission not to allow SHIFT+drag in Noddy's photo album mode to force the traditional behaviour because as PhilM explained, after reverting back to the traditional mode the same SHIFT+drag forces the Noddy behaviour.

To keep everyone (new and experienced users) happy perhaps the Options screen could allow the user to select his preferred mode and allow the alternative mode on a SHIFT+drag