Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default convert 22 xara files to comic book in PDF

I downloaded the trial version of Xara Xtreme 3.2 and have almost completed my 30 days. I haven't used Xara Pro yet.

I created 22 seperate xara pages and would like to combine them into one booklet, actually a comic book. I tried the PDF multi-page utility but it didn't seem to work right. After reading 15 pages on this forum, I wonder if it's not a good idea to try it in Xtreme. Maybe it works better in Pro.

However, someone else wrote in with what I thought was a similar question - they wanted to do a newsletter but this isn't really the same thing.

Anyway, thought I'd put this out there in case someone has done this successfully. Thanks very much.

Default Re: convert 22 xara files to comic book in PDF

Hi Ceal

In what way is it not working right?

Gary

Probably it's not working right because I don't know what I'm doing. Or it could be I'm trying to get it do to do something that it doesn't do.

That said, I have the 22 xara files stored in the same folder in my D: drive When I open one file, it converts perfectly to PDF. However, the advanced options for multi-page don't seem to make sense in this case.

I tried using a multi-page Word document, opened it and tried to convert one page and several pages in the back, using the multi-page option. That didn't seem to work either. I believe it hung (although I can't remember for sure, did it last week).

Then I tried opening two different Xara files and choosing both of them in the advanced options. It saved one as a PDF (but not the other) and I received two Acrobat errors besides (error loading plug-in HTMLPD.api plug-in failed to initalize and PPKLite error).

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
    That said, I have the 22 xara files stored in the same folder in my D: drive When I open one file, it converts perfectly to PDF. However, the advanced options for multi-page don't seem to make sense in this case.
    PDF reDirect v2 will allow you to merge 22 PDF files into one output file with 22 pages.
    It's also free:
    http://www.exp-systems.com/

See if I have got this right you want to prepare your comic for the printers? or you would like to have all your comic as one doc instead of 22. If its the latter all you have to do is to go into the "Edit" menu scroll down to pages and choose either "new or current page". If you are preparing your doc for the printers this is a far larger topic and the first thing you want to do is to talk to the printer and ask how they want it prepared and as this is your first attempt let him show you how to do it for the next time.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    See if I have got this right you want to prepare your comic for the printers? or you would like to have all your comic as one doc instead of 22. If its the latter all you have to do is to go into the "Edit" menu scroll down to pages and choose either "new or current page". If you are preparing your doc for the printers this is a far larger topic and the first thing you want to do is to talk to the printer and ask how they want it prepared and as this is your first attempt let him show you how to do it for the next time.
    MultiPage documents are not availabe with Xara Xtreme, only Xara Xtreme Pro I thought? At least that's how I read the differences at Xaras 'Compare' page?

http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/?v=&?t=

Yes I agree but he has a trial of Pro which he hasn't used, I just wanted to know what he was going to do with the publication?
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    MultiPage documents are not availabe with Xara Xtreme, only Xara Xtreme Pro I thought? At least that's how I read the differences at Xaras 'Compare' page?
    That's what it says, but in my experience, it's not what it means. I have both XXP and XX 3.2 installed.

You can only add/remove new pages in XXP - but XX can open, view and edit multipage files. XX does not have the 'Pages' submenu on the 'Edit' menu that XXP has, but multiple pages show nevertheless.

Xtreme does not support multi-page documents. And I cannot remember how to append one PDF document to an current document.

But here is something that might work (if Xtreme has this option - see attached).

First check to see if you have this option 'Generate separate pages for each layer' available when you export a 300dpi PDF file.

If so, create a separate layer in the Layer Gallery for each page and name each layer with the appropriate page name.

Export your document with the Generate Separate Pages for Each Layer option checked in the Layers tabbed section.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	40100  

Thanks. I'll try that first and then I'll try the PDF reDirect. Appreciate the link.
    Also, I just want to convert it to a PDF file - not send it to a printer.

Cecilia (alias Ceal). Hopefully the photo appears on this thread. I posted it in my profile but got a Vmessage "upload failed"