Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a long time user of Corel. I tried 12 recently, but the snap to gudelines is so weak that it is almost worthless unless you zoom in real tight. Is there an answer for this problem?

Gary Allred
    IP

I am a long time user of Corel. I tried 12 recently, but the snap to gudelines is so weak that it is almost worthless unless you zoom in real tight. Is there an answer for this problem?

Gary Allred
    IP

In the "snap to objects" options you can change the "Snapping Threshold". If you change it to High it seems to improve the snapping to the guidelines. Hope that helps.
    IP

I tried that and it still does not work well enough. I do lots of package designs and I center many elements. I guess I will stay with 11. It is disappointing to pay for an upgrade just to gather dust.
    IP

Gary

Snapping has changed drastically and for the better in my opinion in V12.

The last version to have snapping that worked accurately was Draw 9 (with SP2 and V8 snapping compatibility mode enabled).

Since V10 snapping has been truly awful, Corel changed the one snap point to many mode of operation to many snap points in the object to be moved to many snap points elsewhere in the drawing. This works for simple shapes, but when snapping complex objects it resulted in a mess you could never be sure where things would end up.

In V12 it has resorted back to the one snapping point in the object to be moved to many destination snap points. And it is really good.

Make sure you have enabled the show snapping point markers. When picking a shape to be moved you can't just pick it up from anywhere you have to pick it up from a snap point location it is this and only this point that will snap to elsewhere in the drawing. It works every single time and no matter how close you zoom in it is always spot on, in my experience

If you have the time here are a couple of tutorials in flash format (2 megabytes each) that show the new mode in operation, I work with snapping threshold on medium

HTH

Peter

Two Minute Nut

Two Minute Isometric Nut
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Peter, Hi.

How do you find version 12 in general.
    Also, what OS are you running it on. It seems difficult to get consistent opinions regarding CD v11, or v12.

Thanks.

Sark
    IP

Sark

Better than V11, but I used that day in day out with few problems.

At home I run Draw 11/12 on a Pentium III 667 mHz with 256MB of Crucial RAM on Windows XP Home Edition and use a Matrox G450 graphics card.

The Motherboard was the most expensive I could afford at the time and used an Intel 815 chipset. No way on earth am I ever going to buy a VIA chipset motherboard based PC.

At work I run Draw 11 and 12 on Windows XP professional

Hardware is a Dell with a an Intel 7205 (I think) motherboard chipset and 512 MB of matched Ram for a Pentium Xeon 2.66, Graphics card is similar, a Matrox G550

Why such lowly graphics cards, I don't play games, don't do much 3D work and the drivers are rock solid.

I keep hearing people say, well none of the other applications crash so it must be Corel, however very few applications hammer the Windows GDI subsystem as hard as CorelDraw does and you need rock solid drivers.

However that said I may be upgrading the graphics card at work as I have started to use a 3D nurbs modeller and the G550 is struggling to display complex stuff using Open GL.

So I may be looking at low end professional NVidia card or perhaps, if the performance is adequate a Matrox P series card.

Peter

P.S. The flash demos were done on the home machine.
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Thanks Peter.

My own system has the same G450 Graphics and an Intel chipset MoBo. I'm running 512mb of generic RAM but, apart from a few OS boot issues I've had in the past, which may, or may not, be RAM related, I don't think the generic RAM is an issue with CD.

The one area that may be significant with my system is the OS. I'm using Win 2K (SP2). I've recently discovered that a minor CD9 issue is OS related because when I install SP3 for Win 2K, which I have on a seperate disc, the CD9 issue dissapears. If the particular OS version is relevent then the OS is clearly important.

I might try finding a magazine with a CD12 demo to try (too big a download for this connection), although I've ordered CD11, they're awaiting new stock so I've got time to change my mind. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

Sark

PS...How exactly did you manage to do those demo's with Flash, they look recorded.
    IP

i agree with peter

i think that 12 has a better snapping

i like 12 better than the older one's

but it was a disappointed by it , cause i thought this release will have a tons of new features -- but it was not http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

but still to me - is faster and better -- i hope 13 will have more comptitive features

Peter my system is similar to yours

but it is HP workstation & my ram is 1 giga and my card is wildcat 610

====
    IP

Thanks Peter for those 2 lovely tutorials

Two Minute Nut

Two Minute Isometric Nut

i loved them -- we Neeeeeed Mooooore http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

===
    IP