Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I copy a series of emails, which will give some insight to somebody that may have an answer:

Dear Sirs:

The problems remain, and the answers to your questions are as follows:

1. I'm running Norton Personall firewall, however, if I disable it, the problem remains.
    2. I ran the diagnostic tool from http://www.xaraonline.com/zym5/xaradiag.exe, without any errors.
    3. No Proxy. I connect through America Online, as you can see, from my email address.
    4. I don't have an automatic configuration script set within any LAN settings.
    5. I'm able to connect to your Xara online account from http://www.xaraonline.com
    6. The folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xara\xmupload is not present in the registry.

Sincerely,
    Enrique Geiger

In a message dated 3/12/2004 5:40:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, Xara.Support@xara.com writes:

HI Please provide the answers to the questions from the FAQ should you still be encountering problems with connectivity.

Thank you
    Customer Support

am unable to connect via Webstyle 4 in order to download my templates or unlock the program

1. Are you running a firewall? Webstyle 4 uses SOAP over HTTP on port 80. Your firewall may be configured to refuse SOAP.

2. Download and run the diagnostic tool from http://www.xaraonline.com/zym5/xaradiag.exe

If you receive an error from the diagnostic tool, please let us know the error message encountered.

3. Do you connect via a Proxy? Does the Proxy require authentication?

4. Do you have an automatic configuration script set within your LAN settings?

5. Are you able to connect to your Xara online account from YES http://www.xaraonline.com

6. please select start and then run from your windows start bar and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\xara\xmupload Is the folder present?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 11 March 2004 00:41
    To: Barbara Casey
    Subject: Fwd: Sales query via website form

Dear Ms. Barbara Casey:

Additionally, now I get the following error, when I click on the button "Update Webstyle," while I'm connected to the Internet, through America Online Version 9:

Webstyle has encountered an error while communicating with the server...

Connector:Bad URL specified. HRESULT=0x800A151C

Please make sure you are connected to the Internet.

If this continues to happen, contact technical support.

Also, when I'm connected, and I start Webstyle, it crashes, so now I can only start Webstyle only before connecting.

When Webstyle works properly, it's great, but it seems to be very fragile, and still an immature product.

Please help.

Sincerely,

Enrique Geiger

In a message dated 3/10/2004 12:24:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, Enriq G writes:

Dear Ms. Barbara Casey:

I have Xara Webstyle unlocked, but when I enter my email address and password and click Connect, it fails. Since this doesn't work, and I can't spend days troubleshooting, can you just provide the download of the Template Pack 1 For Webstyle 4, so that I can install, since I already bought template pack 1.

Sincerely,

Enrique Geiger

In a message dated 3/10/2004 9:43:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, BarbaraC@xara.com writes:

If your trial has not been unlocked, click on the Unlock Webstyle link on the starting panel of the trial. You will then need to enter your email address and password and click Connect and your trial will be unlocked (if you did not already have a Xara password before purchasing Webstyle 4, then one will have been created for you and emailed to you). You can then download the templates by clicking on the arrow symbol that you will see alongside the template thumbnail in the preview window of Webstyle.

Barbara Casey, Customer Support
    ---------------------------------
    Please help me to respond quickly by including all previous emails in your reply
    You can find instant answers to all the most frequently asked questions on our website at http://www.xara.com/support/

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 10 March 2004 13:25
    To: Sales
    Subject: Sales query via website form

"10 Mar 2004 Charge for Template Pack 1 For Webstyle 4 19.95"--This is what I bought online, but the automatic updater doesnn't work, so how can I get and install Template Pack 1 For Webstyle 4?

I am still running the trial version of Webstyle 4 but had problems connecting to download the other 2 or 3 templates available while in trial mode. Also I did not have the file XMUpload in my registry. Someone at Xara support tried to help by sending me a version of this file exported from their registry (sent as .txt file in an email). I then was told to rename it as .reg file, right click it and click merge but windows said it wasn't a valid registry file. In the end I decided to simply try uninstalling/reinstalling Webstyle 4 and this worked for me. After I had done this the XMUpload file was present and I could connect with my xaraonline username and password.

I use windows 98se operating system.

I have installed and reinstalled many times.

I doesn't help.

Why can't Xara people just provide the download of the Template Pack 1 For Webstyle 4, as a file, like most other vendors?

I'm very frustrated with Xara, because these are basic things, and their tech support is very unhelpfull.

I had the same errors and problems - Xara support was basically L O S T.... remove Xara from your system. Run Regedit and remove all entries to Xara from the registry. Ensure that NO Antivirus software or firewall software is running .... reinstall - this fixed my problems with getting templates before I changed systems. Now I cant install due to Install Shield errors.. isn't life grand ?

The easiest way out is for Xara people just to provide the download of the Template Pack 1 For Webstyle 4, as a file, like most other vendors.

I can't understand Xara's deafening silence on this.

It seems rather perverse, on Xara's part, to set us up with a mechanism that may or may not work, without giving us the alternative, a plain FTP or HTTP download, which is a proven method, used by the industry for more than twenty years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No Proxy. I connect through America Online<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I don't know the full details of this situation, I can say that AOL doesn't equal "no proxy" exactly. They do a lot of traffic filtering whether you like it or not.

For example, any SMTP mail traffic they will redirect through their own server whether you're using their mail system or not.

When their mail system breaks, and you can't send SMTP mail, they say that they don't say you can use any mail software so they're not obliged to help (even though it's their interference that causes it).

So really... you never know if AOL is up to something and interfering with your connection.

--------
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

In a message dated 3/19/2004 4:43:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, Enriq G writes:
    Dear Customer Support:

This last set of instructions resolved the matter.

Thank you very much.
    Enrique Geiger

In a message dated 3/19/2004 7:25:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, Xara.Support@xara.com writes:
    Did you say XMUpload is not present in the registry

This would occur if Webstyle was unable to write to the registry at installation time. Please save the file attached to this email to your local machine and then rename it to be called XMUpload.reg next right click on the file and select merge

Start Webstyle and click on update webstyle. Enter the member name and password of the account from which webstyle was purchased when connecting to our servers

Thank you
    Customer Support

PS: The contents of XMUpload.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XMUpload]
    "StratusURL"="http://app.xaraonline.com/_stratus/WebService/ws4_entry.asmx"
    "UserName"=""

enriqg,

You are so correct. First, let me ask this, have you succeed in unlocking your product? Second, it appears the there is not Customer 'Support' just Customer Frustration. I do not understand this. Their support, if needed had always been terrific. I first purchased their product in 1997. I had not done much work with web building since then. Their great product is what brought me back to their web site in the first place.

I can not get my trial version unlocked. If I do not get it unlocked soon, I will have to cancell the purchase. I do not understand why this would be such a hard thing to do. You would think that they could at least send you a little file that would automatically update the regedit.

Please let me know if you ever unlocked your product and how you did it.

Thanks,

Craig

Enrigq,

I believe that writing in this forum helped. I am now unlocked. Support mentioned that they saw my notices and really came through. The issue was that I had to have I.E. as the default browser. I use Netscape because I truly believe that Netscape is the safer and better browser. With that stated, I was informed that support did testing with the Netscape browser (7.1, the same as mine) and could not duplicate the issue. Not sure what that means, however, the issue has been resolved.

Thank you support!!

Craig

P.S. The frustration from the customer support is gone, now I just have to figure out how to use the new version. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif I am getting there.