Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb A software to convert handwriting to computerized/digital format

hi guys,

Is there any software which convert handwritting to digital/computerized or ms word format i mean when a doctor write some medicines to the patients that writing is very hard to understand, i just saw a movie i don't remember the name i think machine ghost or something like that, there a computer geek used that software to get phone dairy numbers....i hope u got what i wanna say....thx

Xarif

Default Re: A software to convert handwriting to computerized/digital format

any font software can be used, really. write out all the chars, scan, trace to vector, export as ai and import as individual chars. Some Vector apps (Corel Draw, for one) will export in ttf.

there are a number of such dedicated apps. here is one for $9.
    “Beauty consists in a certain luster and proportion” - Aquinas

Hi Xarif,

It sounds like you want OCR software. Every scanner sold has OCR software included and they output to several file formats. Don't count on 100% recognition, but if you output to Word format and enable auto-correct in Word it can help.

BTW the letters OCR mean Optical Character Recognition.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    ...Don't count on 100% recognition, ...
    ...i mean when a doctor write some medicines to the patients that writing is very hard to understand...
    Don't even count on 5% recognition.

Even the doctor that wrote the prescription cannot recogize what was written after a five minute lapse
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I remember many years ago that I was going to make my fortune by creating a handwriting recognition program that I would call "write stuff". This was on a Tatung Einstien using CPM (?).

It never got past the planing stage mainly due to the fact that I couldn't afford a scanner way back then, but it was pretty fundamental to any OCR requirements.

So the whole thing never passed home base but I had great fun and a lot of deep thinking trying to develop my idea.

Whilst OCR programs generally work exceedingly well with scanned printed matter, they are rubbish at handwriting recognition. I'm not sure what works better ~ Voice or Handwriting recognition programs ~ I think the Voice recognition just tips the scales.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I remember many years ago that I was going to make my fortune by creating a handwriting recognition program that I would call "write stuff". This was on a Tatung Einstien using CPM (?).

It never got past the planing stage mainly due to the fact that I couldn't afford a scanner way back then, but it was pretty fundamental to any OCR requirements.

So the whole thing never passed home base but I had great fun and a lot of deep thinking trying to develop my idea.

Whilst OCR programs generally work exceedingly well with scanned printed matter, they are rubbish at handwriting recognition. I'm not sure what works better ~ Voice or Handwriting recognition programs ~ I think the Voice recognition just tips the scales.
    CP/M? Z80? 1983? Ah yes I remember it well.....

If memory also serves didn't the RoyalMail trial a system to read handwritten postcodes - whatever happened to that?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yep, you've got it Steve.

If memory also serves didn't the RoyalMail trial a system to read handwritten postcodes - whatever happened to that?
    A bit like the Royal Mail .......... it didn't work!
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

A bit like the Royal Mail .......... it didn't work!
    Well strike me - how can you say such a thing.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hey Egg thanks for the trip down memory Lane I used to have the Tatung Einstien too - even had a massive 10 meg hard disk for it which connected via the Tatung pipe, happy days.