Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: A software to convert handwriting to computerized/digital format

Doesn't Microsoft's operating systems for tablet pc's include a real-time system for converting hand printing to text? Seems to me you need only use a stylus on the tablet touch screen and the input gets converted with reasonable accuracy.

Even earlier Apple sold the handheld 'Newton' device that did it too. Given those technologies you'd think there must be some software out there that could do OCR on handwriting.

Regards, Ross

I'd bet there's some interesting stuff in these search results:
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...ng+ocr&spell=1

Thumbs up Re: A software to convert handwriting to computerized/digital format

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    Doesn't Microsoft's operating systems for tablet pc's include a real-time system for converting hand printing to text? Seems to me you need only use a stylus on the tablet touch screen and the input gets converted with reasonable accuracy.

Even earlier Apple sold the handheld 'Newton' device that did it too. Given those technologies you'd think there must be some software out there that could do OCR on handwriting.

Regards, Ross
    In the early 1990s, handwriting recognition was the wave of the future, and attracted a lot of money. I still have the 1991 Momenta introduction press kit -- it was one of maybe a dozen competing tablet computers. The 386-based, $5k Momenta had exceedingly marginal recognition and the company winked out the next year. Several similar companies and similar pen computers came and went, feasting on venture capital.

Microsoft stayed with it, as it has done with speech recognition. The Microsoft-based code for the software with the Logitech io2 pen is surprisingly good, given my marginal handwriting. I don't know the status of the USPO recognition program... I think it's still going.

But for doctors and for scripts? I wish, I really wish. Soquili is right. There's a move to have docs use hand-helds and software with drop-down lists, but even that has its drawbacks, since so many medicines have similar names.

Here's that pen DGehman mentioned: Logitech io2
    It looks cool...