Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Position of objects in 1 group?

Having groups that cuts through layers without disturbing them might be pretty useful, actually. You could group things like wheels of a car, for example, where two are behind and two are in front of the chasis, and be able to move them around as a group while keeping chasis layer in the middle. Or perhaps be able to group hair, which have some parts in the front and some parts in the back of the face. Photoimpact groups objects this way (groups objects without disturbing the layers), and I often find it handy.

I can tell you it makes a lot of sense for a group to exist as a single "compound" object in the code as well! Having the contents of a group all together in one place speeds up redraw, allows groups to be used as if they were simple objects and allows "group transparency" to work.

I think the concept of being able to group things across layers comes initially from bitmap programs such as Photoshop. Their "Layers" are not the quite the same things as Xtreme's Layers and so I suggest we should not think about changing Xtreme's grouping but rather think about how to achieve the same functionality in a different way...

Check out Xhris's new tutorial about the Name Gallery. That can be used to set up very flexible "Collections" of objects that can exist on any number of layers.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Perhaps I'm being dense, but that behavior makes sense to me. Having groups cut through layers sounds horribly complex.

If I want to group objects but still have them on separate layers for future editing, I just copy them to a new layer or a new file and then group.

What am I missing?
    Oh, I agree it makes perfect sense. However at the time I didn't really think about it and grouped a bunch of stuff from various layers together temporarily for some reason, and didn't realize what happened until after I saved the document. I ended up spending a bit of time shifting everything back to it's proper location.

Now of course I'm a bit more careful about things..
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.