Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default file formats & the size of files

Hope some one can help us we are in the signwriting game we use 3 graphics programs Vinyl master pro /Corel & my favourite Xara Extreme.
    we do lots of contracting sending jobs to print. Signs can be 4meters x 1.2 so some jobs can be large we find the pdf is what the suppler wants some of the jobs are 12 to 20 mb in size so emailing is a pain they have to be posted is there a way to get around this. also have just exported a job as a pdf & we get this message INTERNAL PROGRAM ERROR 2192.k.xp.gn
    I suspect the new version could possibly fix some probs like transparencies &
    other effects not exporting over .

Most of the basic designing is done in Vinyl master pro & exported as a AI file over to Xara & then we export from Xara as pdf to the supplier.
    We also notice the files saved as a native Xara file take a long time to open, 2 & 3 min & when working on jobs some redaws take ages, & the computer was purchsed in jan 07. specs INTEL (R) CORE (TM) 2CPU 2.40 GHz 0.98 GB of
    RAM.

cheers Nigel Way Western Australia

Default Re: file formats & thew size of files

If you are working in vectors and not bitmaps then your page dimensions can be scaled down to a manageable size and scaled at the other end. Vectors scale up and down with no loss in sharpness because vector objects are described by their outlines and not by pixels.

A PDF file with all vector images should be quite small.

I believe Xtreme Pro 3.2 does support transparency though it might be doing this by creating a bitmap object, I'm not certain.

Gary

Default Re: file formats & the size of files

Can you post the file that gives the error? If it is private then can you open a support ticket and send the file there instead?

Gerry